Putting GPS into AutoCAD LT 2010

monkey

I use LT in a very basic fashion to produce marked up maps (I download mapping data for each project from the british ordnance survey). i have just been asked if it is possible to insert points taken on a gps system. The gps system hasn't been bought yet, but could you tell me if this is possible and if so what gps system works best and what i do with the data from start to finish?

Hoping so!

It may depend on the GPS, but most should export Lat, Long into an ACSII text file which can then be used in a script, I think most will do a dxf, which can be imported to AutoCAD.

With AutoCAD LT you are limited to inputting the GPS points with a script. In this case you need to output the points (X-Y coordinates) from the GPS software to a text file then edit that text file to create a point from the x-y. There are also some GPS units and the desktop applcations that will create a dxf file from the gps points. You would then open that dxf file save as dwg and either xref it into your project dwg or insert it into it. The big thing you need to watch is the coordinate system (lat/lon, UTM, NAD83 etc.) the GPS unit is set at and if your project map is created using the same system. Even when you can not set a coordinate system to your project dwg you can use dwgs that are created with them.

Thank you both, but i was kind of hoping for an idiot's guide. I don't know anything much beyond high school maths coordinates, and would not know where to start when you discuss xrefs - i know i should be ashamed, but that's why i only have acad lt.

Hope you're not laughing too hard!

As for the coordinate system, most GPS units default with a lat/lon system. What this means id the unit of measurement is by a lat/lon and not in feet or inches. You need to fine out what system is used with the data you get from british ordnance survey and set your GPS unit to that or when you export from it to use the same. A point at 10,10 can be at lat 10 and lon 10 or 10 units left and 10 units up from a known datum or merdian. For some light reading http://www.vterrain.org/Projections/.

As for the xref follow SLW210's advice.

I would certainly hope you know about coordinate systems, but we can help with that also. Your best bet at this point is to learn enough about AutoCAD to properly question the GPS manufacturer about how easy it will be to convert the coordinates for use with AutoCAD.

We use Leica and Trimble GPS systems and both ouput the surveyed points in ascii format, from which you can read in the points into LT via a script (as SLW210 said). There are plenty of examples in the forum here on scripts.