dbConnect Query like: SQL SELECT COUNT(*), SUM(*) FROM GROUP BY

gnurob

Having some fun with dbConnect... it appears pretty easy to gather information from a database and apply it to a DWG, however it doesn't seem possible to summarize that data (e.g. "how many of these objects are in drawing").

For example, if the database contained window information and several types of windows were used multiple times, it should be possible to link each window to the database and then query the drawing to determine the number of each, and total cost.

Window Count Cost Total
TypeA  5     $250 $1250
TypeB  7     $200 $1400

Failing that, if the database could be updated (actually, this would be much better) with a new record for each new object, the database could perform the summary (and many other useful things). However, its appears the "Link..." can only pick an existing record from the database.

Both seem unavailable from what I've seen of the application and the documentation. Please tell me I'm wrong! :-)

IMHO, its surprising that attribute definitions are capable of so much more. Filling tables, linking to Excel, etc., should be small time for a database connection.

Thanks