educational stamp!!!

Dennis

Hy,

I made blocks on my computer for the companie were I'm having my internship. I made the blocks on my own computer with a student version.

now the problem is that wen ever de people use one of my blocks they al have a

stamp on the outprint. "produced by an educational version" it says. can't it be turnd of since the people that work here have legal versions. becaus it does not look verry professional towards the custumors.

please help me ore I can remake all the blocks a made this far.icon9.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• JD Mather

• nestly

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We keep warning users about this downside to using an educational version of an AutoDesk product in a commercial environment and some choose to ignore the warning. This is a prime example of what happens when one does what one should not do. In essence the well-meaning student has "infected" some of the drawings of the company he is interning with. Think they will look kindly on this?

Apparently the teachers do not instruct the students as to the issues of using the educational version for commercial purposes? :?

Or maybe the students just aren't paying attention? :unsure:

yet another example of the massive gap between school and work - they are just different worlds that never seem to talk to one another.

..Or maybe the students just aren't paying attention? :unsure:

Or maybe users are ignoring the warning boxes that pop up when they try to use edu content in their commercial work.

Dennis,

Start over.

yet another example of the massive gap between school and work ....

Yes, apparently those who have finished school - finished without learning to read.

Apparently no one at this company paid attention in class, or is paying attention at their workstation. :roll:

How can anyone miss that message? You have to click not once, but twice to get past the warnings and open the drawing. :?

Just out of curiosity Dennis, if you're still here, where are you located? Judging from the spelling and grammar in your post I'm guessing that English is not your native language? :unsure:

Apparently no one at this company paid attention in class, or is paying attention at their workstation. :roll:

How can anyone miss that message? You have to click not once, but twice to get past the warnings and open the drawing. :?

Just out of curiosity Dennis, if you're still here, where are you located? Judging from the spelling and grammar in your post I'm guessing that English is not your native language? :unsure:

My guess (how dare I) is that his native language is Dutch.

Two links I remember: number one, and two but it's still early.

In all fairness to those of us who accidentally "infect" our drawings with a block or detail or something that someone else created in an educational product, the stamp does not appear to show up in version 2000 at all. I received a drawing from someone where one of the blocks had been created in an educational version, and I inserted it unknowingly into my drawing. It was only LATER when someone else tried to open the drawing in 2005 that the warning sign came up! I had no clue I had infected my original drawing, and it took FOREVER to isolate the problem and fix it. I basically used a combination of the tricks in the previous poster's links (using the recover command, then dxfout/dxfin) to remove the stamp. Now that very same drawing will open up in 2005 just fine with no warning sign. And yes, I am resistant to change! I still use, and LOVE, Autocad 2000.

In all fairness to those of us who accidentally "infect" our drawings ....

You right, there was a time years and years ago that no warning was given. I noticed in the OP's profile that a later version was being used.

When the student starts a new file in student version it gives them a warning.

And when someone tries to use edu content in commercial it gives them two warnings.

I would remove all references to methods to violate ethics.

There are now over 2 million student members of the student community.

Do you want to compete with someone using free software?

I agree. I don't think methods for circumventing software security features should ever be posted in public. If it's an honest mistake, I'm sure Autodesk would help them resolve the problem.

I agree. I don't think methods for circumventing software security features should ever be posted in public. If it's an honest mistake, I'm sure Autodesk would help them resolve the problem.

We keep revisiting this topic. I too fell into the same trap a while back and was informed that since at least one method for eliminating the educational stamp was put forth by AutoDesk itself there was no harm in making mention of it. I am not defending the practice however.

Dennis, investigate saving the drawing in R12 DXF to cure the problem.

That approach was already covered in Dink's post (#13) with his two links. You're a bit late to the party. LOL

Concerning the second link in post #13: Contrary to what's written on that page, there is no bug that causes the educational stamp to just appear in your drawings for no reason. It only happens when you use someone's drawing that was created with the educational software.

Quick research shows that the stamp is some kind of Autodesk bug (not sure about this but this is what I read from autocad forum & discussion).
I just want to make that clear and stop the spread of false information online. The educational stamp is NOT a bug.

And the method for removal should only be used in case of emergency if you were somehow, unknowingly, infected with the stamp. I don't know how that could possibly happen, but if that's the case, there is a fix. But this method should NOT be used for the purpose of circumventing the stamp so you can use the educational software for commercial purposes.

I agree, but only when the coding recognizes that the DWG was opened with a paid for and legitimate installation of Autocad, why should legitimate users get grief/costs due to a block that was created while a person was a student if it is useful, many quality students will eventually run their own companies and buy many "licences" why can't they use drawings they produced in their early years if needed.

There are now over 2 million student members of the student community.

Do you want to compete with someone using free software?

We already compete with countries who get to pay less for the software and some that use pirated software...what makes the difference is the quality of work and knowledge used in the execution of the projects.

I respect that you are in an educational role and often speak your mind (often what I would say to the subject poster :wink:) and that you most often give great advice....but sometimes I wonder if you think through what you post, there are so many variables.

With respect,

Rob