Can you create a mechanical drawing from a 3d drawing?

peregrin8r

Hi. This is my first post here. I am self taught on acad 2008, and have created a complex 3d drawing over the last year or so. But I need it to be represented in a mechanical drawing. I tried flatshot, but this is not true to form. Is there a way to do this? (an easy way) :unsure:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peregrin8r

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess you mean a working drawing with orthographic views. Go to help and look at soldraw and related commands.

I'm curious what you don't find acceptable about FLATSHOT?

Either way, the Autodesk University links below cover Flatshot, the old SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW/SOLPROF commands, and the newer SECTIONPLANE tool although I'm not sure 2008's SectionPlane has all the power of the version shown in the video tutorial (1st link)

Now Flatten That: Producing 2D Output from 3D Models

Back to Flat: Producing 2D Output From 3D Models

As I said, new to this, self taught. When I used flatshot, I got an ortho view or something like that. Not what I wanted. Now I see how to do it. Thanks for the help.

Here are some pics of my work. It's a 1/6th scale DeHavilland Tiger Moth. I originally made a 2d draft of this, but have since made many changes in 3d without a record of the changes. I thought maybe it would be easier to convert back to 2d than it appears to be.:sweat: tigermoth 6.jpg:D

tigermoth 4.jpg

tigermoth 7.jpg

tigermoth 5.jpg

tigermoth 2.jpg

tigermoth 1.jpg

tigermoth 3.jpg

Flatshot should give you exactly what you need depending on the view you have setup prior to using the command. Why do you say otherwise? What kind of "view" were you looking for?

Maybe you need to also look at the SectionPlane command as well.

Yeah, I think it's the prior command part that I have a problem with.

I have no idea what you just said. Prior command part???

I also tried Flatten which did the same thing. It projected down from a camera view, not straight down from each point and vertice which is what I am looking for. Forgive me if I'm not using the right terms here. Also, if I use section plane, am I going to have to do multiple sections, because that seems a daunting task.:(

I'm afraid that I'm not taking into account the level of accuracy you're wanting, so forgive me, but I think what you're after is to take each part and make a mechanical inventory of them in a very precise manner. Correct?

Yes, and no. Ultimately, I want to make corrections to the original 2d, but I don't know what has changed.

I tried to do a screen cap of my 2d, but my memory is low, and it won't save it. How do I insert the actual dwg? pdf?

You can ZIP it up and attach it to a post. Not a Quick Reply, to an advanced post.

I would say that Inventor or Solid Works would be a better application for future use. Obviously I'm not recommending you to start this entire process over from scratch but I believe parametric modelers are based off of 2D profiles in a hierarchical fashion, allowing you to go back, make adjustments, then see the changes in the three dimensional model. Just a thought. ;)

Oh, very nice. I wonder why the FLATSHOT tool wasn't working for you? I does phenomenal output for me on all my 3D stuff. Very accurate. I would say that FLATSHOT would honestly be your best bet but I am just curious how the output is not satisfactory for your use?

Just a note, FLATSHOT only grabs Solids, not Meshes. So anything that isn't a Mesh you'll need to convert to a solid before using this tool.

Is the "prior" command setting the proper views you want? Does 2008 have the viewcube? If so you can get the ortho views by clicking the corners of the cube. Or View > NE Isometric , etc... You can save views so if you make changes you can quickly go back to the view and do an updated Flatshot.

No, there is no view cube in 2008.:( This is a small part I made just to practice on. The two projections(is that the right term?) to the right are what I've been winding up with.

test part.jpg

The shadow under the part is an accurate representation of what I'm trying to accomplish(sans shading).

I believe I know exactly what happened. You used FLATSHOT in the orientation pictured above (an isometric view). If you switch to a Top down view do the images appear more like you imagined they would?

FLATSHOT should be used in the orientation you wish to see your final 2D block. You should have been looking at your part in a Top view.