Stationing

rjaywilson

Back in the days of yore, when we drew something in the plan view, It had to reflect the stationing it was at. If it was too crowded, we referred to a detail sheet. Has this changed? I am working on a project where the engineer wants me to "space" things out so they are clearer, but then isn't it wrong? Or am I being too OCD?

Define "stationing"?

And there are lots of good methods to represent plan view drawings. Obviously when things get too crowded then yes, I will make an enlarged plan and reference the view to another sheet.

There is an 18" valve, 18" tee, 6: valve, 90 degree elbow at the same station. I remember doing a separate detail sheet for something this crowded, but I could be wrong.

Yes it is, and there is a 12" connecting to the new 18" we are putting in, with various and sundry bends, tees and valves.

I guess a station is a piece of equipment that the valves and pipes are connecting to. I'm still unclear about stationing. *shrugs*

What exactly is your question? Is the engineer wanting you to not provide this level of detail? What do you mean by the engineer wants you to space things out for clarity? And when you say detail, are you meaning a schematic detail, or an enlarged view? Or are you meaning an elevation detail?

Sorry about that! Stationing in civil drafting is the distance along the alignment (sewer or water) that you are constructing. Generally, it will be on plan and profile drawings as a way to show what will be constructed where. There are tick marks in the plan view with the stationing (1+00, for example) at 50 or 100 foot intervals, with the exception of where you are installing something (1+53.50, for example). In the profile view those same stations are shown along the bottom of the profile along with elevations running on either size in order to show depths.

I agree with you. If it is going on the main plan view with marked chainages it should be to scale and not 'space out'. If it needs to be shown clearer there should be a separate detail section created for that area.

If there isn't room for all the annotation, there isn't room. We often include enlargements for areas where all the information won't fit, such as swing ties on record drawings for water connections. You typically have a water meter, a backflow preventer, a tap, several valves, and possibly a PIV and a hydrant, all in a fairly small space.