things seem to be going quiet around here

designerstuart

is it me, or are there less questions being asked and answered here recently? it just seems that things are a bit more quiet. if i'm wrong, no problem, maybe i just have more free time (!) but if it is the case, do you think it's the result of the recent hack attacks? could a forum really be affected by being down for a few days? (i saw how annoyed the users at AUGI forum were when they closed / changed that, but this is not the same, right?) or maybe it is the ten-year itch?!

either way i still like it here, and enjoy being part of it.

I think there are a couple of factors at play here and the hacking is certainly one of them. Understandably, traffic was down a lot during the attack period and although it has recovered, it is still down by around 20%. Added to that, we are in the middle of the Easter period when many professionals are on holiday and many students are not at school/college. Obviously, that's part of the natural annual cycle but on top of the drop in traffic due to hacking, it may seem more quiet than usual. My feeling is that it will take another couple of months for things to return to normal.

Just wait till the new semesters start...it will launch off again. Of course, when hiring starts picking up (if hiring starts picking up) there will be some more folks on too probably. I keep hearing the talking heads from the government talking about how successful they've been with creating jobs and all...wish I knew where. Businesses are still closing around here. Very few "help wanted" ads especially for skilled trades.

There is a further factor. Recently (within the last few weeks), Google changed the algorithm for its search listings. This is often referred to as the "Google Dance". This time round, the revision caused CADTutor to lose its first place position for key phrases like "AutoCAD Tutorials" - it is now second place behind Autodesk. We used to be on page one for the keyword "AutoCAD" but are now on page 5. Since around 75% of traffic to this site comes from organic search, those changes could also have a significant effect. Despite the revised positioning, the site profile remains good with a PageRank of 5. Google revises search listings every year or so and there are always winners and losers - this time we're a loser but that could be reversed in the future.

I keep hearing the talking heads from the government talking about how successful they've been with creating jobs and all...wish I knew where.
That's because the government creates "work" not "jobs". The market creates jobs. There's a difference. :thumbsup:

That's because the government creates "work" not "jobs". The market creates jobs. There's a difference. :thumbsup:

Well, what ever you call it, things are still pretty rough round here. Many of the factories in this area have continued to lay off. A few have seen some recovery, but not much. When I got laid off from the dinosaur in 2008, there were 650 people working there. It dropped to under 300, but I understand they've picked back up to nearly 400, though many of these are "temps". There are empty buildings all through the industrial park, and gobs of vacant retail and office spaces that used to house thriving businesses. About the only thing you see in the help wanted ads are in the medical field, and even those are largely part time. I did see a "now hiring" sign out in front of one of the Domino's Pizza locations today.

Just chaps my backside to see those guys get on tv and talk about all the jobs that have been created and how much better off the country is now than a year ago. Take a look round here Mr. Politician...its worse now than ever.

Dallas isn't hurting that bad. In fact, my company is swamped, but we have a much different type of economy here. Lots of technology business booming still, construction is still strong, renovation's are through the roof, and manufacturing is still plenty good. Retail is down, and non-necessities are down too. Although, the State of Texas is technically in the hole right now and governmental employees are the ones more at risk than the economy is (teachers, law enforcement, etc).

Nowhere near as good as it was prior to the 2008 bust but still going strong considering the overall conditions. I want to say that Texas didn't accept any of the bailout money, or maybe partially. Something about the states have to pay that back in some respect? I can't remember.

NW Arkansas has or rather, had a lot of manufacturing and agriculture. You'd think that this area would be recession/depression proof. Walmart, Tyson, and JB Hunt are all headquartered here. Superiour Industries, Kawneer, Cargill and what used to be Danaher (can't recall what it's name is now) all have facilities here as well as several other companies in the poultry business. Used to be a bunch of small companies doing all sorts of stuff. Not a lot of grain farming, but lots of cattle, orchards and vineyards. There are lots of tourist related businesses as well. The metro area of Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville is home to about 250,000 people these days so we are nowhere near as big as Dallas. The housing market crash hit this area really hard. There are literally thousands of new never occupied homes in various states of completion sitting in bank hands unsold and with no interest. The foreclosure statistics are staggering. I have to wonder why they bother, since all these houses are sitting empty now too. There are whole subdivisions sitting around empty.

The state itself is doing well. We actually have a very large surplus in the state treasury this year, so the legislature and govenor actually got together and cut sales tax on some items and did a few things that should help in the long run. I fear though it's too little too late. Many of the orchards and vineyards are grown up in weeds. Some were sold off and subdivisions started, but never finished. There's one near my home that has curbs poured for streets, and fancy street lights sitting on the corners, but no streets were ever actually built. Grass and weeds have overtaken the where the streets would have been as well as the lots themselves. Until recently the street lights would still light at dark, but with all the neglect it was really a creepy looking place at night.

We have people in this area with masters degrees cleaning offices at night to make ends meet. It's gotten to where you need a bachelors degree to get a job pushing a broom. Last time I heard a figure, this area was running about 10-10.5% unemployment.

Many of the orchards and vineyards are grown up in weeds. Some were sold off and subdivisions started' date=' but never finished. There's one near my home that has curbs poured for streets, and fancy street lights sitting on the corners, but no streets were ever actually built. Grass and weeds have overtaken the where the streets would have been as well as the lots themselves. Until recently the street lights would still light at dark, but with all the neglect it was really a creepy looking place at night.[/quote']

Sounds eerily spooky... when the developer has more money it will most likely continue as designed.

Sounds eerily spooky... when the developer has more money it will most likely continue as designed.

Not likely...developer is in bankruptcy, and there's a big "for sale" sign out by the highway trying to sell the whole thing. Sign says "bank owned" at the bottom. This is a recurring thing around here. Lots and lots of failed subdivisions, mostly aimed at high end houses. The $150,000 and down houses all sold pretty good and people have been able to hang on to them. There are hundreds of them around the area at $250,000 and up that are empty.

Next time I'm over that way, if I can remember to do it, I'll try to get a pic of "creepyville" as my kids call it and post it for you guys.

Not likely...developer is in bankruptcy' date=' and there's a big "for sale" sign out by the highway trying to sell the whole thing. Sign says "bank owned" at the bottom. This is a recurring thing around here. Lots and lots of failed subdivisions, mostly aimed at high end houses. The $150,000 and down houses all sold pretty good and people have been able to hang on to them. There are hundreds of them around the area at $250,000 and up that are empty.

Next time I'm over that way, if I can remember to do it, I'll try to get a pic of "creepyville" as my kids call it and post it for you guys.[/quote']

Where I live the average house price is 600K+ (the dollar is higher than US dollar currently also) for an average 3 bedroom house 20km + from the city centre.