spopa2

Hello,

I am looking into how I can create scripts that would generate a text file which can then be read in by AutoCAD to create the 3d model.

I need to be able to create multiple iterations of a model (a solenoid winding) with different parameters (such as number of turns, wire thickness, and number of layers).

I was planning on writing a script in pearl and then creating a batch file that would run the script and then AutoCAD in non interactive mode.

Does anyone know if this could be done, or if there is a better way of doing this not using an outside script?

Also, can this be done in any other CAD program, specifically Solidworks?

Cheers!

well a basic point, but if you want to input figures like length, number iterations, diameter etc you will need to write lisp files not scripts. your best bet is researching how to write lisps (Afralisp is a good start) but it sounds like that part of what you want to do is possible.

Hello,

I am looking into how I can create scripts that would generate a text file which can then be read in by AutoCAD to create the 3d model.

I need to be able to create multiple iterations of a model (a solenoid winding) with different parameters (such as number of turns, wire thickness, and number of layers).

I was planning on writing a script in pearl and then creating a batch file that would run the script and then AutoCAD in non interactive mode.

Does anyone know if this could be done, or if there is a better way of doing this not using an outside script?

Also, can this be done in any other CAD program, specifically Solidworks?

Cheers!

designerstuart, he is not referring to scripts in AutoCAD.

Are you wanting to use PEARL or PERL they are two non-related programing languages. I will probably need to move this thread somewhere to receive more appropriate responses.

Sorry, I meant perl. Any scripting language would do however. I just need to automate the generation of these models.

Cheers

A "script" in Autocad is basicly that you have typed in a text file every single thing that you would do via the keyboard and entering co-ord pts for pick points etc.

eg Line

C

I would endorse the use of lisp you can have dialouge boxes etc for your questions

Can you paste a dwg or image of what you want with some more explanantion of how the part is made now within Autocad