Printing problems!!!

IsaacB

Ok, so I just started at this place and the only way you can print to 11x17 without the top and bottom of the border being cut off is if you print through the server. The admin says this CANNOT happen because it's an ancient 2003 server and we'll kill it and we have to find a way to fix it from printing directly from everyones printers. I've downloaded new drivers and installed and tried everything and can't get it to work. We're on a mix of AutoCAD2010 and 2012 but it's the same regardless. Anyone know why this is or what the fix is for it?

Thanks in advance!!

If your prints are true or half scale its a result of your borders margin set up. other wise its probably just a product of margin settings which you can tinker with under the plot offset setting within the print dialog box, but really I'm guessing as i dont know the specific steps you are taking to print locally vs network.

Here they insert the title block into model space and scale it up accordingly, the "scaled to fit" is clicked in the plot box and it prints out to scale on the 24x36 printer. There's no problem at all with the 24x36 printer.

The problem is with the 11x17 printer which is a Kyocera KM-3050. If you window from corner to corner and use the driver that is NOT through the server it cuts the top and bottom of the border off. If you use the one that IS through the server it prints just fine.

I was hired and have set up layout tabs and am going to teach them how to use the Publish command so they can batchplot. I just can't find how to fix it without going through the server. I've downloaded Kyocera Universal drivers for XP, 32 bit, AND 64 bit and none of them work. The only way it works is to use the driver attached to the server.

thanks for the details, that helps alott, it does look like it would be the driver as i cant think of anything else that would cause the discrepancy but i have no awnsers for you since you've already tried new ones. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you. in the mean time i can only offer that you might be able to cheat through the plot settings as a temporary work around till you find a real solution.

I can't say for sure what your problem is...sounds driver related but without getting my hands on the printer it's difficult to call it and being that you're limited on what you can do. If I were in your situation I would try to use one of the PDF options to print the files to PDF first. AutoCAD has some built-in stuff or Adobe comes with its own driver as does Bluebeam Revu or there are several free PDF print drivers available. Once you have the drawing in a PDF format try and print the drawing to the printer again. PDF files are usually more forgiving when spooling to a printer. The scale may not be true but if that's the case then you've got other problems that need to be resolved as well.

BTW - What does your print preview look like. Is the margin cutoff in the preview as well?

How is this printer connected to all of the computers? Is it a network printer? What driver is the 2003 server using?

The print preview looks fine. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but on the 11x17 paper space tab the printable area dashed line is right in line with the top and bottom of the border. However that is the same preview as the the one that works and doesn't cut the top and bottom off so I don't know if that's it or not.

On the 24x36 printer it's the opposite. The left and right dashed line for the printable area are in line with the border sides and there is a gap at the top and bottom. But the 24x36 prints fine.

It's a network printer. The driver it uses is Kyocera KM 3050-KX which is the one that goes through the server

I've tried the universal driver and a couple others and they all cut the top and bottom off of the border but the print preview looks the same as the server one.... it's infuriating!!!

You should probably check and see if Kyocera has a forum or troubleshooting section, I believe it is a problem with the printer and/or driver.

I have that problem with a HP printer. The printer has it's own print margins from what I understand. So even if your Autocad setting is for 0 print margins, the printer will cut some off. So does the 24x36 printer, but it's not noticeable. I have a work-around, not a solution. I created another layout tab for 11x17 and reduce the viewport to be 10.5 x 16.5 or something like that, then the 24x36 border basically fills the whole viewport. It works because the drawing isn't to scale anyway on the 11x17.

Got it figured out!! Finally got the right universal drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit and it WORKS!!

But now I have a new problem. On 2 of the three computers when I try to add a search path for the plot styles the ADD button is grayed out. I checked their user accounts and they all have Administrator rights. I could add the new printer driver no problem but now can't add a search path in AutoCAD.

I think it will only accept one path, delete the one there and browse to the new location or just place in the path already defined.

you can add more than one. I've got 2 in mine and it worked on anothers. I didn't want to delete the one they've got and not be able to add one back in.

you can add more than one. I've got 2 in mine and it worked on anothers. I didn't want to delete the one they've got and not be able to add one back in.

Well mine is grayed out as well, and I have all rights as admin, interesting. :?

Like I said, just place them in the path, that's all I know.