Anybody on here know much about Autodesk Showcase?

Jack_O'neill

Any of you guys know how to add text to a Showcase model? I'm working on a rendering of a automotive tool for a manufacturer, and they want to see thier logo in the rendering. The logo is a printed metallic sticker. It's just text, nothing fancy, but I don't know how to make the text show up in the rendering.

Any ideas?

I don't know how Showcase works. :unsure:

In Studio Max you would use a "Composite" material for this. What sort of materials does Showcase have available?

Another option would be to insert the text after rendering, in Photoshop.

I don't know how Showcase works. :unsure:

In Studio Max you would use a "Composite" material for this. What sort of materials does Showcase have available?

Another option would be to insert the text after rendering, in Photoshop.

It has an assortment of metals, plastics, woods, painted surfaces, laminates, mirrored, translucent and transparent glass in an assortment of colors. There are fabrics, lacquers, rubber, and a category called "luminous" that has things like LED colors and lightbulbs.

Photoshop would be great...ain't got it. I will see if the picture editor stuff that came with my camera will do that sort of thing. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea.

Photoshop would be great...ain't got it. I will see if the picture editor stuff that came with my camera will do that sort of thing. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea.

You might want to get yourself a copy of Gimp, it's free: http://www.gimp.org/

I will check those out guys, thanks. I have Picassa, the free google photo editor thing, but it doesn't lend itself well to this sort of stuff. Can work wonders on photos that are too dark or need color correction though. I will grab both of those tomorrow and try them.

Never tried gimp, but I was trained in Photoshop & Maya at college.

Post render image editing would be the simplest solution (via PS), given that you do not need to incorporate a bump map texture to the pre render model (ie Maya, 3DS). The key is having the alpha channel of the image transparent (ie .TGA, filter, etc), otherwise you'll need to manually edit the source image yourself.

Hope this helps!

Never tried gimp, but I was trained in Photoshop & Maya at college.

Post render image editing would be the simplest solution (via PS), given that you do not need to incorporate a bump map texture to the pre render model (ie Maya, 3DS). The key is having the alpha channel of the image transparent (ie .TGA, filter, etc), otherwise you'll need to manually edit the source image yourself.

Hope this helps!

I'm sure this is great information. Pretend like you're talking someone who doesn't know anything about editing images. On second thought, don't pretend. The renderings you've seen posted on here are the only one's I've done. I edit photos with Picassa by cropping and hitting the "i'm feeling lucky" button. If that don't give me what I want, I'll undo then twiddle with the slide bars till it looks like I want. In Showcase, I pick the object I want to apply a material to, go find the material in the list, pick it and presto. I have figured out how to adjust the color of the material, and to make it lighter or darker as needed, but that's about all I know. The Nikon software that came with my camera does lots of stuff, but it's not very intuitive. After 3 or 4 minutes of plunking around, I close it and open Picassa when working on a photo.