New Category

SEANT

I’d like to suggest an addition to the “AutoCAD Customization” sub forum.

Given the numerous languages and methods available for customization, a less specific category (Procedures and Algorithms, for instance) would allow members to pose questions that do not imply a particular format based on the post’s location.

I tend to examine posts in all categories (and I suspect many of the other programmers do as well), but this new category may promote a wider range of participation than is currently recieved by any of those existing.

Edited by SEANT
wording

Sounds good to me SEANT. Algorithms are the starting point of all programming regardless of the programming language used. The program code just implements the algorithm.

I think I understand where you're coming from. So this would be a forum where someone could ask, "I'd like to automate the process of calculating the length of polylines on a specific layer - how could this be done?"

In effect, it's a request for a solution to be delivered rather than learning how to go about it - is that right?

. . . .

In effect, it's a request for a solution to be delivered rather than learning how to go about it - is that right?

Actually, it would be more like a request for a possible solution, but the solution as described conversationally (pseudo code, perhaps).

So, to expand on your scenario, and how this new category might come into play –

Someone continues: "We’re currently programming in VBA but expect to move to .NET shortly. We also have a few Mac versions of AutoCAD as well, so we may need to translate it to AutoLisp.”

Answer: “You will need to create a Selection Filter, applied to everything in Model Space that is both a Polyline and is on that specific layer. Once that Selection Set is established, iterate through all the items while keeping tally of the poly lengths.”

Another example. There is a request to process an area shared by two closed polylines. The answer could describe the manual procedures that have to be reproduced in code: “. . . . convert the poly geometry to Regions then perform a Boolean Intersect.” The reply is generic enough to apply to any language.

The reason I made this suggestion was that I didn’t want to exclude potential viewers from this post, or make links in NET, ObjectARX & VBA, The CUI, Hatches, Linetypes, Scripts & Macros , and AutoCAD General:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?59850