Debugging Autocad with c# .net and vs2010 or 2008

plantdesign

I have been trying for about a week now to step through my code that is running an Autocad custom dll. In this case, it's "Hello World" - I have all of the publicly available ObjectARX libraries.

I have tried a number of methods but the only way I can get the de****** to stop at a break point is to create a "Autocad Plugin" when I create a new project. If I just try to create a class library, it doesn't load the symbols (?) when I run the debug.

The problem with debugging the "autocad plugin" is that it doesn't wait for me to key in the customCommand.

I am very new to .net programming but come from a vb6/vba background, just never for Autocad. Can someone step me through how to do debug with either vs2008 or vs2010 and Autocad 2010 or 2011?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The problem with debugging the "autocad plugin" is that it doesn't wait for me to key in the customCommand.

Elaborate on that statement: What is the sequence of events?

The dll is a program Kean Walmsley wrote

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/02/getting_access_.html

it should wait for me to key in "EH" before it does anything else. When I netload the dll however, it goes right to "enter the handle of the object" instead of waiting for me to key in "EH".

Is it possible to debug without having to create a Autocad Plugin?

Thanks!

The dll is a program Kean Walmsley wrote

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2007/02/getting_access_.html

it should wait for me to key in "EH" before it does anything else. When I netload the dll however, it goes right to "enter the handle of the object" instead of waiting for me to key in "EH".

That’s interesting; I’ve never run into that before. Does the routine proceed correctly from there?

Is it possible to debug without having to create a Autocad Plugin?

Thanks!

Many of the .NET objects and methods used in that sample routine require the“in-process” accessibility available only through the plug-in setup. There is an “out of process” interface (COM Interop) that allows interaction, without actually running inside of AutoCAD, but much of the functionality is unavailable. Conceivably, debugging such a setup could occur (at least partially) without AutoCAD running.