Extract Z data from a point

Philmobile

Hi,

First post here, hope you can help. It's been quarter of a century since I last wrote any lisp routines (that's so long ago I've forgotten most of everything I learnt!) but I did try to write a lisp routine which would extract the z data from a 3D point and then write the z data value at the node of the point I'd picked. This is where I've got to:

(defun C:Zxtract (/ pt0 z lev)

(setq pt0 (getpoint (COMMAND "id" "nod"))

z (caddr pt0)

lev (rtos z 2 2)

)

(COMMAND "text" "s" "standard" pt0 "2.5" "0" lev)

)

And this is what comes up on the screen when I run the command Zxtract after the command prompt:

Command: zxtract

bad argument type: point: nilof

Even though the above message comes up, I can still pick the point; and picking an arbitrary point gives me the following on the command line:

X = 5.773 Y = 6.179 Z = 1.000

What I want is for the z value to be written on the screen with a text height of 2.5. It's nowhere to be seen!

Can anyone help? I have 7,600 points with z values and I'm NOT doing it longhand!!!

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Hi Phil,

Your error is because the command function will return nil, and getpoint requires a string:

(getpoint "\nSpecify Point: ")

Hence you could use something like:

(defun c:test ( / pt z )
 (while (setq pt (getpoint "\nPick Point: "))
   (setq z (caddr (trans pt 1 0))
         z (rtos z 2 2)
   )
   (command "_.-text" "_s" "standard" "_non" pt "2.5" "0" z)
 )
 (princ)
)

Note that that above will only work if the Standard TextStyle has zero height, since otherwise the height prompt will not appear.

But if you are using AutoCAD Point Entities, you could collect a SelectionSet of these and process the lot in one go.

Welcome to the forum .. :)

Something like this .... ?

(defun c:test (/ p )
 (if (setq p (getpoint "\n Specify Point :"))
   (command "_.text" "_style" "Standard" p "2.5" "0" (rtos (caddr p) 2))
   (princ)
   )
 (princ)
 )

Tharwat

Many thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

But if you are using AutoCAD Point Entities, you could collect a SelectionSet of these and process the lot in one go.

That's got to be my next step then - working out how to create a selection set...since I have so many of them to pick!

That's got to be my next step then - working out how to create a selection set...since I have so many of them to pick!

Maybe something like this:

(defun c:test ( / ss i pt nrm uca )

(setq nrm (trans '(0. 0. 1.) 1 0 t)
       uca (angle '(0. 0. 0.) (trans (getvar 'UCSXDIR) 0 nrm t))
 )  
 (if (setq ss (ssget '((0 . "POINT"))))
     (repeat (setq i (sslength ss))
         (setq pt (cdr (assoc 10 (entget (ssname ss (setq i (1- i)))))))
         (entmake
             (list
                 (cons 0 "TEXT")
                 (cons 10 (trans pt 0 nrm))
                 (cons 40 2.5)
                 (cons 1  (rtos (last pt) 2 2))
                 (cons 50  uca)
                 (cons 210 nrm)
             )
         )
     )
 )
 (princ)
)

The above will also account for all UCS/Views.

I was always weak on the (osnap) call. esp about "nod" value

But I would think that you want the text centered on the point, not to drop the trailing or leading zeros.

[b][color=BLACK]([/color][/b]defun c:zval [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]/ pt[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]setvar [color=#2f4f4f]"DIMZIN"[/color] 0[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]setvar [color=#2f4f4f]"SNAPMODE"[/color] 1[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]while [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq pt [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]getpoint [color=#2f4f4f]"\nPick Point:   "[/color][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
        [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]setq pt [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]osnap pt [color=#2f4f4f]"end,nod"[/color][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
        [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]prin1 pt[b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b]
        [b][color=NAVY]([/color][/b]entmake [b][color=MAROON]([/color][/b]list [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 0 [color=#2f4f4f]"TEXT"[/color][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 1 [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]rtos [b][color=RED]([/color][/b]nth 2 pt[b][color=RED])[/color][/b] 2 2[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 6 [color=#2f4f4f]"BYLAYER"[/color][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 7 [color=#2f4f4f]"STANDARD"[/color][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
[color=#8b4513];                        [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 8 [color=#2f4f4f]"0"[/color][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][/color]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 10 pt[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 11 pt[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 39 0.0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 40 2.5[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 41 1.0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 50 0.0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 51 0.0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 62 256[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 71 0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 72 4[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 73 0[b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b]
                       [b][color=GREEN]([/color][/b]cons 210 [b][color=BLUE]([/color][/b]list 0.0 0.0 1.0[b][color=BLUE])[/color][/b][b][color=GREEN])[/color][/b][b][color=MAROON])[/color][/b][b][color=NAVY])[/color][/b][b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b]
 [b][color=FUCHSIA]([/color][/b]prin1[b][color=FUCHSIA])[/color][/b][b][color=BLACK])[/color][/b]

You can uncomment the (cons 8 "0") line if you need a specific layer.

Same with 39 62 etc

HTH -David

Maybe something like this:

That looks nothing like anything in the R12 Lisp routines book I am working from! That would have taken me hours to work out. It works, very well. Thank you.