Advice with AutoCAD>3DS Floorplan workflow?

noxit

Beginning with the end in mind, I have to create the following:

• HQ Renderings
  • Isometric views
  • Elevations (fully-dimensioned)
  • Floor plan (fully-dimensioned)

I decided that the best way to do the elevations and floor plans was with a 3d model (solids) in autocad. These are fairly detailed constructions.

Now, I'm about to create these blocks and can name the layers and assign materials as required, but I'm wondering what the best setup is for bringing these completed 3d models into 3dsmax.

Anyone done something similar? I've got a lot of these to do so I'm wanting to start out efficiently.

If you want to build your models in Autocad and then import them to Max for rendering, that's fine, but you should apply your materials in Max after importing, not in Autocad.

Also, be sure to move your models to X0,Y0,Z0 in Autocad, before importing. Max doesn't like it when objects get too far away from the origin. I typically save out a copy of my Autocad file and then move everything to the origin in that file, leaving my original file intact.