Need Lisp for Pipe Fittings Take Offs

Vineet Babbar

I need a lisp command for material takeoff for the fittings in case pvc piping systems.

Assume there are three pipes of different sizes that are intersecting at a node say these can be of 1", 1.5", 2" respectively. So to connect these three pipes together, fittings are required and that would be 2" Tee and two reducers - one is 2" x 1.5" reducer and second one is 2" X 1". So, at this node we require total of 3 fittings - one tee and two reducer.

I need a lisp which can automatically calculate the fittings for all the intersecting pipes of different sizes.

Maybe you should consider buying a suitable AutoDesk vertical product that will accommodate you needs better.

What field are you working in?

A couple of questions for you to consider before you start writing your own LISP routine:

How does AutoCAD distinguish which "pipe" (polyline?) is which pipe size?

How does AutoCAD distinguish vertical separation of pipe crossings? Surely, all intersecting "pipes" do not belong to the same pipe network, right?

Are you inserting the appropriate blocks prior to your quantity take-off, or is your routine going to automatically determine (and insert?) the necessary blocks?

Hope this helps!

I need a lisp command for material takeoff for the fittings in case pvc piping systems.

Assume there are three pipes of different sizes that are intersecting at a node say these can be of 1", 1.5", 2" respectively. So to connect these three pipes together, fittings are required and that would be 2" Tee and two reducers - one is 2" x 1.5" reducer and second one is 2" X 1". So, at this node we require total of 3 fittings - one tee and two reducer.

I need a lisp which can automatically calculate the fittings for all the intersecting pipes of different sizes.

I had this issue and solved it like so..

Make a block for each fitting, insert them as necessary, and use a lisp to "rake" or "sweep" their totals to Excel.

2T.dwg, 2X1-5RED.dwg, 2X1RED.dwg and so forth, heck if needed each size or material could have their own layer and color... as you wish.

A LISP to automatically "think" and total what is needed, I doubt it.

HTH

Steve

Edited by stevesfr
ha, fix spelling !

Maybe you should consider buying a suitable AutoDesk vertical product that will accommodate you needs better.

What field are you working in?

I'm sure if it was just that simple he probably would and not be asking for help. I'm not in a position where I can go a purchase software for myself on behalf of my employer. This is the reason why I use lisp, to pick up in area's that my base ACAD lacks. I only wish I could be using a vertical product. Or even better yet, solidworks :love:

And maybe the OP has to do this type of work so often it doesn't make sense NOT to use a vertical product. Not my call. It's his.

Like stevesfr I would use blocks at the intersections then use lisp to determine correct block. It would be semi automatic using pick lines.

Say use layers simply 50 90 100 125 225

Pick smallest first = 50 pick next 50 last 100 then the tee would be a block called 50-50-100-T

Two pipes on an angle 1st is 50 2nd is 100 the its a 50-100-45-reducer a 50-50-45-J etc is two pipes both 50 and at an angle of 45

Its complicated but could be done. would maybe need some questions as it ran T or R? but would do the easy joins very quick.

@KrazyMann225 said it very right, I am not in a position to buy the vertical product on behalf of my employer.

@Stevesfr and BIGAL, Thanks for your valueable replies. But those I already though of doing. In this case, I've to place each individual block on all the intersections and directional changes of the pipes and then calculate the number of blocks by block count lisp, which is ultimately a cumbersome thing. I would like to have a lisp which can automatically calculate the fittings without the placements of blocks, rather calculates by considering the intersections and directional changes of lines (pipes) which are on different layers indicating the size of pipes.

@Remark, I m in irrigation projects.

I would request to everybody to find our some solution to solve my problem and many other fellows who are wasting the hell lot of time in fitting take-offs.

• 1 year later...
@KrazyMann225 said it very right, I am not in a position to buy the vertical product on behalf of my employer.
Bottom dollar is always king, however, you could still raise the awareness that a better and more valuable software does exist. AutoCAD MEP can do this with absolute ease and costs a bit more than plain AutoCAD. The return on your investment for the additional cost of something you already have to pay to license could very well be ten fold.

What you're wanting to do can be accomplished with some type of LISP routine, or other work around's. I still feel that the +/- $1k extra for a vertical product trumps any other reasonable possibilities. In the end my point is simply to not rule it out, and maybe consider it for another day when speaking to your boss.

:)