CADTutor does different things with different browsers

Jack_O'neill

When I view CT in IE8 and hit the "insert image" button it gives me this dialog:

ie8.jpg

In Chrome, I get this one:

chrome.PNG

Is there some setting I need to tweak to get Chrome to give me the other one or is this a programming issue?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• BlackBox

• dbroada

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same here....

Additionally, in IE8 I cannot see post date & time, in Firefox & Chrome I can.

that is a "compatibility" issue that happens to me if I view a page with code tags on it. For other pages push the button between the address bar and the rotaty arrows (or upgrade your IE).

that is a "compatibility" issue that happens to me if I view a page with code tags on it. For other pages push the button between the address bar and the rotaty arrows (or upgrade your IE).

I do view the threads in 'compatibility view' (in IE8 ), and no such luck. Furthermore, I mainly participate in development forums (Visual LISP, .NET), so if [code ] Tags are to blame, I'm screwed. LoL

As for upgrading IE... working in a +10K employee firm makes upgrades pretty much at the behest of the Corporate IT office... they are unconcerned if I am unable to see the Date & Time of threads. LoL

I do view the threads in 'compatibility view' (in IE8 ), and no such luck. Furthermore, I mainly participate in development forums (Visual LISP, .NET), so if [code ] Tags are to blame, I'm screwed. LoL
If that doesn't work for you it may not be the CODE tags then. That is what seems to trigger the problem here.

As for upgrading IE... working in a +10K employee firm makes upgrades pretty much at the behest of the Corporate IT office... they are unconcerned if I am unable to see the Date & Time of threads. LoL
Same here. I have to go home and check with Firefox if I'm really interested.

Same here. I have to go home and check with Firefox if I'm really interested.

You'd laugh - Firefox and Chrome don't require Admin rights to install, so I installed them on my work computer. :lol: LoL

Upgrading past IE8 requires a so called uprade to the OS too, and I am perfectly happy with XP on my cad machine. I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I have no desire to mess around with the computer that provides the daily bread. It sits here and does its thing, and don't give me any crap. I may try it on the other one sometime, but not this one!

I had Firefox on here for a while, and it does most stuff ok for me, but for some reason it absolutely will not display my bank's website correctly. Chrome and IE will, but Firefox just can't seem to figure out what to do. If they've put a new one out recently, I may try it again. Its been 6 months or so. I like the fact that it has a plug in for Norton 360 that will bring all my settings and stuff over automatically.

I have noticed a new abberation with IE though. Ever once in a while, it simply won't put the page together. I get a white background, and the status bar says "done". I can click the compatibility button and it comes back, the click it again to turn it off and it goes on normally. Wierd, but we've come to expect that from MicroScrewy i guess.

I'm afraid there are a number of rendering anomalies with the forum between different browsers but it's not my fault (honest). The vBulletin software, while pretty good functionally is not too good on the visual fidelity. Things are getting better with bug fixes etc. but we won't see total compatibility across all browsers for a while yet and older versions of IE will never be fully supported. For best results, use either IE9 or Firefox.

I'm afraid there are a number of rendering anomalies with the forum between different browsers but it's not my fault (honest).

Please don't think that I was implying that was in any way your fault, that's not the case at all. I knew it was something to do with Chrome, but I didn't know if there was a setting in Chrome I needed to twiddle with or if it just was what it was. Every browser has its strengths and weaknesses, and none of them do everything perfectly every time.

You do a remarkable job keeping a very large project up and running and we are all grateful for the job you do.

I will download the latest version of Firefox and give it a try. Between the three of them, I should be able to view any site on the web!

Please don't think that I was implying that was in any way your fault...

You do a remarkable job keeping a very large project up and running and we are all grateful for the job you do.

BIG 1+ from me as well, David. :D

Edit: There's a reason I have exponentially more posts here at CADTutor... because it's awesome here! :wink:

Edited by BlackBox

I just went using IE 9 at work and Firefox at home. I have unloaded Chrome from my computers, it bloats the temp folder and slows your computer.

• 2 months later...
I,m posting this to point out another oddity (FYI).

If any post on the page uses the code tags my browser goes in to compatibility mode and I can no longer see any post date stamps.

however, it would appear that 

if HTML Tags are used my browser retains date stamp information.

I just went using IE 9 at work and Firefox at home. I have unloaded Chrome from my computers, it bloats the temp folder and slows your computer.

:unsure: :( :ouch:

I just installed Chrome because I have heard so much good things about it ...

I,m posting this to point out another oddity (FYI).

If any post on the page uses the code tags my browser goes in to compatibility mode and I can no longer see any post date stamps.

however, it would appear that 

if HTML Tags are used my browser retains date stamp information.

This should have been solved with IE 9. I am having no problems.

:unsure: :( :ouch:

I just installed Chrome because I have heard so much good things about it ...

It is not too bad if you remember too Manually empty everything, I use CCleaner to dump everything, but the temp folders were getting so large it was taking a while for that to work. There are still a lot of problems with Chrome IMHO and my home computer is older and slow so I really see the SLOWNESS of Chrome and its baggage. I now use IE at home also.

If you are still using XP (like me), you can't upgrade to IE 9 without downgrading to vista or 7,which I refuse to do. Hence, I use Firefox and sometimes Chrome.

Vista is certainly a 'downgrade', but 7 is far superior to XP...

I may have to give it a more serious look. I was afraid that as fast as they rushed it out after the vista fiasco, it might not be ready for prime time either. I tend to take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude when it comes to operating systems. This little machine cruises right along, never gives me any crap. It just works day in and day out, so I see no reason to monkey with it.

I always blame IE for browser issues. If it weren't for them, web designers would have the freedom to really flourish with their programming skills instead of always being forced to code sites to be "backwards compatible" to earlier versions of IE.

I too used Windows Xp for a long time, although after upgrading to Windows 7 last year, I see now that 7 is so far better! It is basically everything Xp was with lots of new great features added.