Quoting in Replies

BlackBox

I will hazard a guess and say its a limitation set by David so that the quotes don't get overly long. I have found this annoying on occasion, but usually its just the one post that I want to quote anyway.

Personally, I have found that the usage of quotes seems to be excessive recently.

I remember the time when one could follow a thread perfectly without any quoting.

I will hazard a guess and say its a limitation set by David so that the quotes don't get overly long.

Actually, it's not me - honest. It's just the way this software words. But I have to agree with others that infinitely nested quotes can be a pain.

Oh. Sorry for accusing you David - it must be a change in one of the updates then because I remember that nested quotes was possible earlier.

One can always multi-quote if needed :)

Actually, it's not me - honest. It's just the way this software words. But I have to agree with others that infinitely nested quotes can be a pain.

Nested quotes don't happen on the other vBulletin boards I'm a member of.

Why are we unable to quote others' quotes?

^^ This is a failed test.

I will hazard a guess and say its a limitation set by David so that the quotes don't get overly long. I have found this annoying on occasion, but usually its just the one post that I want to quote anyway.

Personally, I have found that the usage of quotes seems to be excessive recently.

I remember the time when one could follow a thread perfectly without any quoting.

Oh. Sorry for accusing you David - it must be a change in one of the updates then because I remember that nested quotes was possible earlier.

One can always multi-quote if needed :)

Nested quotes don't happen on the other vBulletin boards I'm a member of.

Yes, Multi-quote is much better. It allows you to pick and choose relative quotes. Most forums that I frequent have stopped the nested quotes.

I agree completely, and not just recently - there are definitely members who just hit the quote button each and everytime, even when they aren't actually referring to anything in particular. It gets really annoying when a long post stretching right down the page is quoted in its entirety, just to reply with a single line - pointless imo.

There are certainly several factors at play here, vBulletin updates (as I too remember being able to do this prior), tangential thread topics (something I'm guilty of), and the like.

Perhaps my interest in this functionality is due to my 'jumping' in/out of the forums... as much as I *wish* I could be here all day, I reluctantly have to go back to work periodically. (

Often times someone only provides a very short response (SR) to 'something', be it as a result of a language barrier, etc.. Directly quoting the SR is unclear after several other posts have been added to the thread. This is where my not being here all day comes in. I've found that the only way to make responding to the SR inteligible, is to force the quote as DNK has illustrated, which is more work on my part, but I feel is more clear and ultimately worth doing.

It would be great if there were an option in our settings to 'enable' this feature when replying with a quote - I participate in other forums, and do not feel that the multiple quoting is an issue there. Perhaps it's just the threads that I participate in.

In any event, I appreciate everyone's input, and thank you David for all of the hard work you do for this community.

:beer: