Editing in Assembly

nicolas

Hi,

I am quite new to Inventor compared to Autocad. I want to create an assembly where parts are fitted one into another according to set rules. To make thing simpler, I have drawn just four parts (2 profiles cut at 45 and 135 degrees) and assemble them. However, second profile's extrusion is too long at the end. I agree that I can do calculation and reset everything in sketch-extrusion but this is time-consuming and I believe there must be a better way just like Autocad trim/lengthen.

Can I do trimming or shortening or lengthening or modifying the extrusions directly in an assembly? Can I create part directly in Assembly based on geometry for example a rectangular sketch that I can extrude to form a glass?

I have attached the pdf of the drawing done so far.

Regards,

Nicolas

Experiment No 2.pdf

Hi,

... parts are fitted one into another according to set rules.

Regards,

Nicolas

What version of Inventor?

1. The easiest method in 2010 or later is with multi-body solids.

2. In earlier than 2010 (or for very complex work) skeletal (master) modeling techniques.

3. In 2011 and 2012 for sophisticated control iLogic.

Methods 2 & 3 probably require some training.

Its 2011-2012. ..

No such beast - it is either one or the other.

In any case, you have multi-body solids.

Go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders to find out everything you can about multi-body.

Search Google for Autodesk Inventor Multi-body.

Check your book (you do have a book, right) on mult-body.

Also look for information on Manage>Make Components (this is a tab in your part environment).

You might start here http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

Try an example of what you want to do and attach it here.

Many thanks for the tip and documentation. The Inventor Tutorial is great, direct to the point. I need to train myself for the coming days, building some inventor skills and I will be back to the forum on assemblies. Thanks a lot.