import Lt2011 into Inventor 2010

thegodplato

We have been trying to get to grips with Inventor quite unsuccessfully becuase we can't devote the time to it as we would like. I have a number of Autocad LT drawings that I wondered if they could easily be converted into 3D for use on a new website for a new product range we intend to launch. Is there an easy way to just copy and paste the DWG file into Inventor and then get it to produce the 3D model? Most of the parts are sheet metal formed components.

We have downloaded a tool for Autodesk Labs that supposedly will do it for us but we can't even find teh Import Wizard tab to start with. Numpty, I know!

Or would anyone like to convert them for us for free!!! Ha Ha!!

It sounds like you expect that Inventor will do all this work automatically with little effort on your part. Don't you need a fully dimensioned and constrained 2D drawing to start with?

Isn't there an option in Inventor for opening a non-Inventor DWG file under Open?

How many seats of Inventor do you have? You mean to say that no one in your company went for any training to use Inventor?

"Making the Leap from AutoCAD to Inventor" by Lynn Allen...

http://lynn.blogs.com/Booklets/3134136_making_the_leap.pdf

This link is to an article from 2002 but it does explain the process of bringing a 2D AutoCAD drawing file into Inventor.

http://www.onlinecad.net/AU%20Course%20Docs/AU%202002/Going%20Back%20and%20Forth%20Between%20Inventor%20&%20ACAD.pdf

Edited by ReMark