Extrude/Cut on Two Planes

Vandall

Hi all,

I am new here so please be gentle.

I have been using AutoCad LT for a few years and recently moved onto 2012 LT at work, however I was able to purchase a full version of both AutoCad 2012 and Inventor Professional 2012 as I am keen to get into 3D modelling etc.

Usually i pick a project that I am interested in and use this interest to learn the software and with Inventor I am modeling a Lotus 7 Replica chassis etc.

So far I am doing well I have most of the basic chassis components and assembled them using constraints.

MY PROBLEM

I have now been stuck on a chassis member for about 5 days and admited defeat so need your help.

The metal rail is a 25x25x3.2 shs and it needs to be tapered in two directions at one end. I can't seem to get the angles right and feel like I am going around the houses rather than using a simple technique that I am sure exists.

I have attached a simple screen shot of what I am trying to draw.

Can you please help?

ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 28 19.17.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vandall

• JD Mather

• Sphiinx

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Sphiinx,

thanks for getting back so quickly.

How i read the part is that the 61.5deg face also slopes back 34deg so is slanted on two planes with a mutual base point. How would I do that to the face?

In Inventor - Create a line at the first angle.

Create a Workplane using the line and one of the base workplanes at the second angle.

Use the Split command with the workplane.

There are other techniques as well.

Im sorry , the quick response was wrong, so i removed it quickly... the revised is up now. sorry for that.

You have not attached a correct example?

Of course this is far far easier to do in Inventor than AutoCAD.

You have not attached a correct example?

Of course this is far far easier to do in Inventor than AutoCAD.

I had posted the wrong one originality, and in the 30 seconds it took me to realize it... he had responded already. It should be correct now.

I have not tried Inventor yet.

I have split each face using the two angles. Do I simply extrude/cut now on each face?

One Split - not two. See the images I added to previous post.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

I have one split and now created the plane as indicated previously.

How do i extrude/cut this?

Sorry for being a dumb ass - Im not normally this thick

ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 28 20.29.gif

Its amazing really - I can design and draw whole structurally glazed fascades to universities and the like that span upwards of 9 floors yet draw a cut across a face in two planes and Im ******ed!!

However as I haven't been trained on Inventor I don't think my chassis is too bad so far.

ScreenHunter_04 Sep. 28 20.36.gif

You don't Extrude - you use the Split command with the Trim Solid option.

Are you useing the Frame Generator in Inventor to design that frame? (it sounds to me like you might be doing wayyyy too much work as the Frame Generator will trim frame members for you.

See attached. Rear Bulkhead Left Side Diagonal_01.ipt

Take a look at the feature tree. One Split.

Split Part.png

JD,

Urm - Frame Generator - arr

Seriously

I have aproached this from what i believed was a logical angle (no pun intended). I have created part files for each part and then created an assembly file where each part is attached to the others via constraints. I imagined that once this was done i would follow through to the weldment area and so on and so forth.

Basically as you would actually build the chassis.

Is this the wrong way? (At 42 I understand there are no stupid questions other than the ones you dare not ask but know you should only to be stopped by pride) I don't mind redoing all the work as long as I do it correctly.

Tx

JD,

Urm - Frame Generator - arr

Tx

Does that mean that you have had difficulty with Frame Generator - or that you didn't realize that there is a Frame Generator built into Inventor?