Inventor Extrusion Problem

sadil

I am trying to create an airfoil in inventor. After many tries to get the shape right, I instead opted to just download a .dwg file of an airfoil and imported the file into Inventor. The airfoil shape is perfect, but is split into many separate points and lines. Inventor wont let me extrude the object because it not recognizing an enclosed shape. Is there a way to combine all these lines into one joined line, or is some setting off? Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone wants to try it out and let me know, the dwg file can be found here,

http://www.ae.illinois.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_dwgFmt/airfoils_dwg_format/?C=N;O=D

It is the e420.dwg file.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sarosh

Did you extrude a empty shell or a full solid? Can you guide me through your steps? It still wont pick up the shape as one piece and offer me a extrude option. Thanks.

Sarosh

I might be missing something when I do a DWG import through Inventor. Thanks for your help, Inventor recognizes the extrusion right away and is doing exactly what I want now. I am going to do other profiles later, so I will load the DWG in AutoCAD first and do a copy/paste. Thanks again for your help. Cheers.

Sarosh

I was able to generate your curve as a single spline using 6 points.

What is the total tolerance of your manufacturing process?

Mr Mather,

I am just doing a 4th yr project for school, and was trying to create an adjustable rear wing. Im focusing on the mechanism, so the airfoil was just supposed to be used for presenting the mechanism. I am not too concerned about the airfoil's exact tolerance, I just want a similar shape with smooth curves. Can I see your 6 point design? Thank you.

Sarosh