Project Geometry in 2d drawing sketch

eribiste

I may be having an attack of the dumbs here....:unsure:

I've done a simple pulley bracket assembly. The bracket body has a rib, created in the model using the rib tool.

In the 2D drawing file, I've projected a section view of the assembly, with the cutting plane in the middle of the rib, co-planar with the rib, which comes up hatched. I'm trying to hide the hatching in the rib in accordance with correct drawing practice. Trying to follow an earlier post by Forum Deity JDH, I'm attempting and failing to sketch a boundary for the rib to then hide the hatching.

In the Sketch tool icons, the Project Geometry tool is greyed out, and thus far I have been unable to bring it to life. I'm anticipating that if I can only get the P.G tool to work I can snap the new rib sketch to the existing geometry to create a boundary and then hide the hatching within.

I'm using Inv Pro 2008. Cheers chums.

Most likely you have started your sketch at the assembly level rather than the view level.

Exit sketch if you are in sketch.

Click the boundary of the view (red dashed rectangle should appear), DO NOT move the mouse.

Hit s on the keyboard to start a sketch within the view. (I have found this to be the easiest way for beginners to make sure the sketch is at the view level rather than the assembly level.)

"Trying to follow an earlier post by Forum Deity JDH,"

Done, thank you for that JDM, not H. Apologies for that. I thought it would be either an attack of the dumbs, or lack of practice, both of which apply in my case.:oops:

Errrm, I'm still thrashing this hatching removal business around. If I work with ribs extruded to flat surfaces, I do as advised by JDM and everything is fine.

This attached drawing however is giving me some grief. You will note that the rib is now melding with a curved surface on the boss, and I'm guessing that it's this part of the feature that is holding me up somewhat.

Pulley Bracket2.dwg

You do not have a complete boundary in your sketch. Must Project Geometry the view geometry into the sketch.

Can you attach the ipt file here. (for some reason if the link is broken - I can't hide your hatch)

(see attached files) (Open ipt first and pull down EOP in the feature tree.)

Bracket.zip

Edited by JD Mather