2D Sketch - Mid Point Constraint

Darren Lingard

In the a 2D Sketch how do you select the mid point of a line to constrain it to another entity?

The midpoint constraint does not appear on the Sketch Toolbar but if you right click in the sketch envoirement it appears under the constraint option. I can not seem to select the midpoint of the line using this option either......Operator failure:?

• 1 year later...

thank you so much for these little aids! with a background in Cad and Solidworks, I pretty much know how to do stuff. It's just finding the icons and tools :)

cheers

Another midpoint constraint question... Sometimes (Most times) the midpoint lights up in red when I pick it, but sometimes I get a little circle around the midpoint instead. What's the difference. I haven't really observed any difference in the behavior, I just wonder...

Another midpoint constraint question... Sometimes (Most times) the midpoint lights up in red when I pick it, but sometimes I get a little circle around the midpoint instead. What's the difference. I haven't really observed any difference in the behavior, I just wonder...

heh.

This is an annoying one, right here.

When the dot is highlighted, you're picking the midpoint of the existing geometry. Might be a line you've laid down, but it sounds like it's probably a projected edge... because when you get the circle, that's a point that's on the underlying face edge. If you constrain to the circled point, rather than the color-highlighted point, then you're going to project a new point, and you might find that you have an open profile, because your line - although fully constrained - may or may not actually be attached to what you think it's attached to.

I really, really wish that Inventor would default to use the existing geometry that's already in the sketch, rather than trying to project new stuff when you already have something there.

.... rather than trying to project new stuff when you already have something there.

Do you have autoproject turned off?

I prefer to have it off and I personally only project the stuff I want myself.

Thanks Bishop. I have had Inventor tell me that I had open loops in a sketch when I am sure the sketch is closed. Now I know why.

I too only autoproject the origin/centerpoint.

No problem. It took me a while to figure that one out. Nowadays, right-click / select other is almost a reflex whenever I'm setting constraints or trying to close a loop.

Thanks Bishop. I have had Inventor tell me that I had open loops in a sketch when I am sure the sketch is closed. ....

You should post any anomalies when they are encountered. There is usually a logical reason.