Edit shell feature failed

Scavenger

Hi,

I am a German student working on a project in Singapore. I worked quiet a few times with Inventor before, but i would say I am still a beginner.

Actually I am working on a medical device. The design should be gun-shaped.

I have never used the shell-function before but I was told by a colleague how it is meant to work and so I trusted in the function.

As you can see a made a solid body of my gun. Then I cut it in the middle and I wanted to use the shell-function to actually get the shell.

As you can see in the attached file that works as long as the thickness of the wall is 0.5mm or smaller. I need a thickness of 2mm at least.

Whenever I change the thickness to a value bigger than 0.5mm the following error occures:

Edit shell feature failed

praeziser tester.ipt: Errors occurred during update

Shell1: Could not build this Shell

The attempted Shell operation was unable to solve for a vertex. This may have been caused by thin faces in the input or an overly large thickness. Try with a smaller shell thickness or by removing such thin input faces.

I think you guys know how to change the thickness, so you can try if you get the same error as I do....

I tried some stuff with the shell-function and normally thinner Parts than the desired thickness just stay as they are. I never had the problem I have with my project. I can not find the mistake I made!

The Design is not finished till now, so it may look a little strange. I just wanted to test the shell-function in a lazy minute. Then the error occurred....

I know the file is totally a mess and some of the sketches may not be completly constrained. But in my thinking that should not be the problem, should it?

Hopefully my English is not to bad and you get what is the problem!

Thanks in advance!

I am to stupid to get my file uploaded to the forum, so I uploaded it to a friends webspace:

gunclan.de/downloads/graphicwork/Scav/praeziser tester.ipt

Tobi

Find the red End of Part marker at the bottom of the feature browser.

Drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser - hiding all features in the graphics window.

Save the file with the red End of Part marker in a rolled up state.

Right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

I would start over from the beginning - sketch 1 is not fully constrained, has wayyyyyy too many dimensions (use equal = and symmetry and colinear constraints to reduce the number of dimensions).

I would use Split (part) option to get both sides.

In general, I would take what was learned from this attempt and start over to simplify the construction of the model. It could be done with far fewer features and easier to edit.

How are you coming along on this design?

At least one of your features could not possibly be shelled at 2mm (not thick enough to begin with).

If a feature won't have a 2mm wall thickeness (example two walls less then 4mm apart) then model them after the shell.

I had a few days off and went to bali, but now I am back.

As I can't find another solution so I will start the design again. I will keep you posted on my progress!

When you start it over - don't use the same technique you used on first attempt (you were doing too much work).

Maybe create a 2D drawing of your first attempt to help plan out the next attempt.

I will try to post a picture of one area in particular that you should model after the shell.

When you start it over - don't use the same technique you used on first attempt (you were doing too much work).

Maybe create a 2D drawing of your first attempt to help plan out the next attempt.

I will try to post a picture of one area in particular that you should model after the shell.

This time a spend some more thoughts on what I have to do and what can be shelled.

I think compared to the first time I am doing ways better!

At the moment the design looks like that:

pistol final.zip

The split- and shell-function are just for testing. I always keep them below the red bubble but pull the bubble below them to check if the shell still works.

Next thing I will do is add some large scale chamfers and fillets at the handle and then I will split and shell the design and do the precise things. So far okay with you guys? :)