Errors when saving using Inventor 2012

Hopinc

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have been on the forum due to pressures of work, but an issue with Inventor 2012 has drive me to making this post.

Every now and then I get this error message when I try to save a model. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?

At least for me, Inventor 2012 is nowhere near as stable as 2011 - that is once the render crashing bug was sorted.

Regards all,

Dave

Untitled.jpg

Did you install with UAC and anti-virus turned off?

Have you installed Service Pack 1?

Are you using Projects (and does your (*.ipj) point to that path?

Hi JD,

Yes to all of the above.

I discovered right after I placed my post that the "saving" error was tied to a simple feature within the model. If I changed the feature, or deleted it, I could save the file without problems. No errors whatsoever were showing prior to saving.

Very peculiar behaviour!

Now I have found the cause I will know how to resolve the issue in future. This is not a solution, but it is a workround. As far as I am concerned the error message was generated by a very simple feature which should not have caused any problems.

Regards,

Dave

Hi JD,

Sorry can't do that for two reasons. The first is that it's work for a client, and I cannot let anyone see it without their permission (not likely at this stage). Secondly because I have changed the feature and progressed much further into the design cycle. In fact it's pretty much finished now, just waiting final approval.

When I posted I had just run into this same problem for a second time on two totally different projects. I just wondered if anyone on the forum had come across the error, and maybe a fix for it. I lost about an hours work on the first occasion it struck.

It was on the second occasion that I discovered the cause (an extruded, drafted feature which showed no errors). Now I know what to look for I should be able to bypass any such occurence in the future.

Hopefully this post might be of use to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation.

Thanks for trying to help.

Regards all.

Dave

Did you extrude and then use face draft, or did you extrude with taper built in to the extrusion? Face draft will frequently give me fits and errors, so I usually try and find a different way to achieve the desired result.