Split surface when lofting an ellipse to a grounded point!

Hopinc

Hi Guys,

Anyone care to speculate why this should be so:

Picture 1: Sketch of an ellipse curve with a grounded point on it's centreline

Picture 2: Lofted surfaced created with tangent edges (note guide curve generated by Inventor).

Picture 3: Finished loft - looks good, until .....

Picture 4: Cursor highlighting surface - note that the surface appears to have a split exactly where the "guide curve" was.

Picture 5: Yes, it is definitely a split surface as it is possible to select an edge????

This model was generated using Inventor 2012, but it is exactly the same using 2011. Why is this not a continuously smooth surface?

what's this 4.jpg

what's this 2.jpg

what's this 1.jpg

what's this 3.jpg

what's this 5.jpg

Edited by Hopinc

Ignore it. SolidWorks and Pro/E have the same seam.

If it really bothers you - there might be a way to create the geometry with a Boundary Patch.

(I might work up an example if I get some time later).

Hi JD,

Yes, it bothers me as I have been generating sclupted parts that are going to be used for SLS models and then injection mouldings. I want unbroken surfaces.

If you can work up an example without a split I would like to see it.

Regards,

Dave

El.ipt

The height and curve can be adjusted by varying the variable "Fillet" and the offset workplane distance (currently -Fillet/2).

The workplane offset distance must be less than Fillet. But the closer to equal to Fillet the higher the dome. (the dome Boundary Patch is tangent to the remaining fillet after Sculpt1.

Edited by JD Mather

Hi JD,

Sorry, but when I try to download your attachment I get a vBulletin invalid attachment error message.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Hi JD,

I see what you mean, and your method works well up to a point.

Unfortunately it does not give me the flexibility that using a grounded point does. As you know, lofting to a grounded point and moving it around can create some interesting shapes which are impossible to achieve using the fillet command.

I do think that this split surface is something that can and should be fixed by AutoDesk. and a robust surface healing tool function should be added to the surfacing commands.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Dave

example1.jpg

I do think that this split surface is something that can and should be fixed by AutoDesk

Dave

Turn off edge display. You are letting a artifact of the display fool you. The geometry is smooth.

Hi JD,

I already have edge display turned off.

Out of curiosity I imported an iges file of the model into SolidWorks 2012 and the surface split was not in evidence. However, when I re-imported it back into Inventor it came back. I couldn't decide whether it was actually present or not.

Thanks JD.

Regards,

Dave