Spring

nicolas

Hi,

String Drawing 01.jpg

I am looking for a way to create a spring in Inventor 2012. The string starts and end with a half turn or 180 deg turn and this first and last half turn is immediately followed by a full turn with minimal distance between them and the remaining turns are equally distributed.

Thanks you in advanced,

Nicolas.

Like this? :)

This one is adaptive so when you move the plane the spring will change its length. Thus if the 2 planes are mated in an asm the spring will adjust with the moving parts.

spring.jpg

Hi,

Thanks you very much for spring design. Regarding your inquiry: I have a basic knowledge of Inventor, just what it needs for basic assembly. An Inventor Version of 3D Modeling in Autocad with added constraints knowledge. Taking R Harvey's design as an example, I need to have the first partial turn and the first turn closer, say 1.5 mm. and the same for the last partial turn and the turn immediately following it and then distributing equal distance between the 2 remaining turns. I am here trying to design an existing spring. This is the "as is" dimension, without any forces applied to it.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi,

Thanks you very much for spring design. Regarding your inquiry: I have a basic knowledge of Inventor, just what it needs for basic assembly. An Inventor Version of 3D Modeling in Autocad with added constraints knowledge. Taking R Harvey's design as an example, I need to have the first partial turn and the first turn closer, say 1.5 mm. and the same for the last partial turn and the turn immediately following it and then distributing equal distance between the 2 remaining turns. I am here trying to design an existing spring. This is the "as is" dimension, without any forces applied to it.

Regards,

Nicolas

Try using the coil function... Look at these steps.

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Are you now able to put a variable pitch on a spring using the coil feature (haven't run into this situation yet)? I can't tell if you acheived this in your images, but if you can't so it on on feature, multiple coil commands may be needed, or possibly a sweep following the desired 3-D path.

There may be better ways to do it, im currently sitting in front of a computer running ACAD 2006 *facepalm, sigh and head shake* and have not used Inventor in over a year now so my memory may be failing me.

but if you can't so it on on feature, multiple coil commands may be needed, or possibly a sweep following the desired 3-D path.

Yes, multiple features is the easiest method...

This was done using two coils:

variable_pitch_spring_T1.jpg

You can even taper:

variable_pitch_spring_T2.jpg

KC