frame generator

stephen10

Try the Inventor forum below.

To answer your question - a frame generated with the Frame Generator is simply an assembly.

Place Component and place the assembly *.aim file as a sub-assembly into your new assembly.

(like putting an engine into a car)

Make liberal use of sub-assemblies - use them just like they will be used out on the shop floor.

when i went to place a frame in the next assembly the program came up with a promt saying that i could not use this process to place a frame generated assembly this way

sorry cant attach file as it is on another computer where i am trying to learn. but from your answer it seems i have done something wrong, if all i did was draw a sketch as a standard part and then changed the lies into box sections cut and trimmed them ect then i added some gussets to the frame all went well, then i opened and saved a new iam then tryed to place my frame into it as part of a larger item and the computer told me i cant do that with this type of file

cant remember the exact words

having trouble navigating this site hope this goes where i wnt it to

It sounds like you're trying to insert Frame000001.iam on its own.

If you create an assembly called ... assembly1.iam, and then create frame00001.iam inside of it, you need to insert assembly1.iam, not the frame itself.

• 1 year later...

That's the way the program is designed. Unfortunately no one here, including you, can change that. It's a subject best taken up with the powers-to-be (i.e. - programmers) at AutoDesk.

Your only other choice would be to switch to a different program. Trouble is, which one would be a better replacement? Only you can make that decision.

You have your point, i was just curious about a workaround. Like so many other needs, that use some tricks to get it done.

Do you have a bad day ?