Inventor 2012 "ODDITY"

BillB

Hello,

I came across this oddity in Inventor 2012 Pro. When I try to Import an exploded block in 2012 the "Layers and Objects Import Options" dialog does not populate the "Selective import" area with layer as it's does in my Inventor 2009 version. It will also not let me pick the objects in the "Import Preview" window. The below images show what I mean. Do I have a setting that's not correct or is this a known problem. I have looked in the Hot Fix area on the Autodesk website but didn't see anything.

Any comments or suggestions on this?

Thanks in advance

BillB

2009 2012

2011-12-01_0758.jpg

2011-12-01_0805.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello again,

Have even tried just regular 2d Autocad geometry and the Inventor Import function still won't recognize or import into it,,,, very frustrating:x

BillB

Did you install 2012 with anti-virus and UAC turned off?

Hmmm, I don't see where you even listed your system specs?

What SP are you on?

There is a fix for this, but I don't recall exactly what it is.

I seem to recall something to do with having Design Review installed, but I also seem to recall other considerations as well (as in - install with UAC off).

Complete system specs, SP and Add-in information.

Hello J.D., thank you for the response. Here's the current system specs:

Dell Precision T1500, i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, 64-bit O.S., Windows 7 PRO w/SP 1

Autodesk Inventor 2012 PRO with SP 2 w/Update 3, 3Dconnexion Navigator

Has been awhile since I loaded IV 2012 but I am pretty sure that I had anti-virus off but am not sure about U.A.C.

This is something I don't use a lot but I do on occasion, would like it to work that same as it did in IV 2009.

Thank you in advance for any input you can offer on this problem, have a great day.

BillB

I think there are 2 Service Packs and an Update 3 for Inventor 2012.

Have you installed all SP and Updates with UAC turned off?

It should work the same as in 2009, something is wrong with your install or your settings.

Hey J.D., yes sir, have all the Service Packs (1 & 2) and the Update 3 loaded, checked with our computer guy here and we DO have the U.A.C. turned off (or at least the lowest setting).

I did compare and set the 2012 Application Options to the same as 2009 and still no success. Yes, your probably right, may be the install, oh well, not worth reinstall for this small of a matter, will just have to live with it and do what I have done in the past, Copy & Paste.

Thank you again for all your effort, much appreciated.

BillB

Bill, Please do not BUMP! to the top on our forum your answer will be addressed as soon as a kind person has the time to address the question. All you are doing is giving a Moderator the job of deleting all the BUMPS you just added to this thread.:ouch:

JD-

I know that Autodesk says to turn off UAC and antivirus, but does it actually make a difference at all? At work, I don't have the option to turn this stuff off, and I've installed 2010-2013 and associated service packs multiple times each across multiple Vista and Windows 7 machines with absolutely zero issues.

At home I turn off UAC and AV, but ... nothing has gone any differently between work and home installations or later usability.

Lazer, sorry for the bumps, was visiting an old issue from Dec, 2011 and was hoping that it could be resolved, again my apologies.

BillB

JD-

I know that Autodesk says to turn off UAC and antivirus, but does it actually make a difference at all? At work, I don't have the option to turn this stuff off, and I've installed 2010-2013 and associated service packs multiple times each across multiple Vista and Windows 7 machines with absolutely zero issues..

Same here I have installed it in the past and not closed down UAC or antivirus, however for 2014 I did do it correctly this time as recommended.

Lazer, sorry for the bumps, was visiting an old issue from Dec, 2011 and was hoping that it could be resolved, again my apologies.

BillB

I saw no problem with the bumps as this was an old old issue that was never responded to.

I usually get too lazy to turn off UAC (and I learned the hard way to turn it back on after install).

On most installs it made no difference that I left UAC on.

But in a couple of other cases I saw that it definitely caused an issue with full installation of the product.

(from the reports I've seen and from my two bad experiences it always seems to be a problem with additional functionality like Studio, FEA.... not the core product)

After the last experience (took hrs to fix) I've learned to turn it off to save myself a headache. Then turn it back on after install.