how to view/use hole centers or construction lines?

coho66

so i've got this snowboard rack that i need to layout/markup with some #8 machine screw holes (with countersink for tapered wood screw head) - two on the end of each stretcher to fasten them to the uprights - 8 in total. I also want to layout 8 more holes on the stretchers themselves. I've got some center holes marked in the sketches..but they're not visible when i activate the hole feature so i can properly place the holes? why is this?

i'm also wondering why i can't extrude the 4 spacers i've got sketched on the back of the stretchers into a solid . . . . i can only cut?

Stretcher.ipt

newandimproved uprights.ipt

you need to click the little plus sign beside extrusion 4 and right click on the sketch and select visibility (share sketch will get the same result) from the drop down menu. this will make your sketch visible to be able to use for your holes. when you use a sketch for the first time it is "consumed" by the solid. all you need to do if you want to use it for anything else is to turn it's visibility back on. once you are filished using it you will have to turn it back off in the same way you turned it on.

however you really should be modeling the ends and stretchers as 2 seperate parts and building them as a "constructed" model in an assembly (.IAM) file, and really you should be doing one sketch for each feature your adding. it is a much better practice and far easier keep track of what is controlling what in a model, this also is much to detail in an IDW in the way you would actually need to build them. ;)