Flat pattern from cone in INV 2009

Hawk646

I am unable to create flat pattern from this revolution in 2009.

Can someone make a suggestion as to how it can be done with this process, or suggest how to create it in a manner that it can be flattened.

I tried to do it with a loft and shell,cone2.ipt still no flat pattern result, here is that file.

cone.ipt

Edited by Hawk646

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, you sure are hung up on criticizing peoples work. I've posted a couple of times and you did not help with my problem but made sure to put down the work I did. If I need a sketch to be fully constrained I'll constrain it. I think you want to toot your own horn (your lessons). Before you go toot'n you might want to be able to answer the question being ask! :o

If I need a sketch to be fully constrained I'll constrain it.

As a beginner you need to constrain ALL sketches.

Once you start constraining sketches (learn to crawl) I can provide answers that will help you walk and eventually run.

Stick with it - and you will get there.

You will find that it is actually easier to constrain than not constrain (in fact Inventor will do it for you).

Makes editing so much easier.

You are presumptious! I have been making my living with inventor for over 8 years. With Intel, Midrex, Joy mining machinery To the tune of 70K per year. I just haven't used sheet metal very much. You might try not talking down to folks when you don't know them. Since you like critqueing let me take Time to give you some advice, take a class in Social interacting, might learn to control that HUGE ego a bit. Try being more helpful or refrain from commenting on my post please you have never helped anyway.

Edited by Hawk646

You are presumptious! ....

The only evidence I have of your experience is the beginner level files you have posted here.

I have to tailor my responses based on the geometry you attach.

Constraining sketches is usually covered the first day of class. (certainly someone using Inventor for over 8 years should know how to constrain a sketch)

Thanks for the information on companies and salary.

I like to show my students that they can make a good living doing this stuff and they should have the confidence that they know how to use the design software as well as professionals out there getting paid to use it.

The only evidence I have of your experience is the beginner level files you have posted here.

I have to tailor my responses based on the geometry you attach.

Evidence? I did not know you were a judge, and you are by no means the only person proficient with Inventor. I posted here to find an answer. One can not judge a man's experience from a simple sketch. Take a course in social etiquette.

I have news for you on the salary, as you probably know by experience, just knowing how to use software don't bring 70k per year. I am an experienced professional designer and I taught myself what I know of Inventor.

I am not just a CAD jockey.

Stop hijacking my threads, with your self promoting SPAM!

If you have answers to my needs you are welcome to reply otherwise leave me be!

You seem to have a "God Complex" you are not my teacher, my Father or my God.

Hawk,

btw, in newer releases of Inventor the selection of the face is no longer required to get the Flat Pattern. You even have newer lofting tools just for Sheet Metal in Inventor 2010 and newer.

For more detailed Sheet Metal information about which commands create proper unfolding geometry, go to the Autodesk University Website and sign up (its free) and search for Seth Hindman's class he did a couple years ago. Good stuff for Sheet Metal users.

I use 2010 at work and have spent a little time on sheet metal there. I believe one can also flatten a contoured flange in 2010. I just was having trouble with it in 2009, sometimes we forget little things when we don't use them a lot especially when we move to newer revs.

If you are willing and have more tips on the sheet metal capabilities of 2010 I would be grateful.

Again Thank you for your on topic information, I was beginning to wonder if there were any help to be had here. :)

Tony

I'm pretty sure that 2010 has some good tutorials on sheet metal. I know 2011 does. Work through those. They were a LOT of help for me.

Thank you Bishop, for the on topic help.

Sorry, but can you post an image.

I cant open the file at home. maybe i can give you a step by step.

For what? The OP figured out the problem.

See Post #2 Got It

• 1 month later...

Hawk,

I'm using Inventor 2009 and trying to create a tapered cylinder. I'm also having huge problems. I read through the posts and got nothing that helped (except that i must always constrain!! haha)

Did you figure out the best way to create cylinder and unfold? I'm stumped, I have no problem doing this in solidworks so I'm really frustrated. Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

DRBJR45

Tony

Talk about tooting your own horn. I now know of your massive years of experience, your massive salary, and your distain for "CAD Jockeys". In reviewing your posts they all seem to be wanting help, never offering it. Conversely I have yet to see JD ask for help and he always offers to help when he can. Perhaps before throwing rocks at him you might try accepting that he is right and learn something new.