map 3d question

jgrand

Newbie here with a question. I have just begun to explore autocad 3d 2008. I have been through the tutorials and have watched everything on you tube I could find. Therefore, I barely know anything about autocad.

My question is, can I upload a map of the county/parish I live in then draw its boundaries? I would then like to layer the gps coordinates of objects that were found throughout the parish? I am studying the distribution of a certain plants in a couple of counties. As I locate one and mark the gps coordinates, I would like to upload it to a map where people can look at the map and see where I have collected plants.

Can anyone give me details on how to do this and, if you have time, why I need to do it the way you suggest. I am not yet familiar with the autocad jargon so please be gentle. Thanks in advance.

Newbie here with a question. I have just begun to explore autocad 3d 2008. I have been through the tutorials and have watched everything on you tube I could find. Therefore, I barely know anything about autocad.

My question is, can I upload a map of the county/parish I live in then draw its boundaries? I would then like to layer the gps coordinates of objects that were found throughout the parish? I am studying the distribution of a certain plants in a couple of counties. As I locate one and mark the gps coordinates, I would like to upload it to a map where people can look at the map and see where I have collected plants.

Can anyone give me details on how to do this and, if you have time, why I need to do it the way you suggest. I am not yet familiar with the autocad jargon so please be gentle. Thanks in advance.

How are you getting these coordinates you want to use? Is there some sort of file generated, or are you just going to type them in manually.

Yes, you can import a map and the coordinates, just make sure everything is on the same coordinate system.

Where are you getting this map from?

How are you getting these coordinates you want to use? Is there some sort of file generated, or are you just going to type them in manually.

Yes, you can import a map and the coordinates, just make sure everything is on the same coordinate system.

Where are you getting this map from?

I have not gotten the coordinates yet or have a map. I am starting from nothing, and know very little about auto CAD but am willing to learn it. I need to know things like what maps I can use and what type of coordinates I can and should use. How can I import a map and coordinates? I have imported a image of google earth but after I did I could not resize it or zoom. Can I import a map that I can scroll and zoom like on google earth? Also, I want to draw boundaries of the couny lines. Any suggestions on how to do this? I know I have a lot of questions but if anyone can answer them, it will be yall. Thanks.

I have not gotten the coordinates yet or have a map. I am starting from nothing, and know very little about auto CAD but am willing to learn it. I need to know things like what maps I can use and what type of coordinates I can and should use. How can I import a map and coordinates? I have imported a image of google earth but after I did I could not resize it or zoom. Can I import a map that I can scroll and zoom like on google earth? Also, I want to draw boundaries of the couny lines. Any suggestions on how to do this? I know I have a lot of questions but if anyone can answer them, it will be yall. Thanks.

Well I waited a few days to see if you got any other replies so I jump in. There's two ways of getting maps/data into AutoCAD Map3D, the mapimport command and Mapconnect. Using mapimport it converts the data/geometry into standard AutoCD objects. The import dialog will let you select the file type to import. With Mapconnect (data connect) it connects to the data/features and does not convert anything but is live so if anyone changes the data it is also changed in your AutoCAD Map.

As for the coordinate points of your plants there's a ton of ways to get them into you map depending on how you collect them.

Go over the tutorials that are included with MAP3D and get a feel of how the program works. Then depending on what part of the world you're in you may fine all the data you need to create your base map then just add the plants/points and do a little styleing to make it look pretty. Also how do you plan on sharing this map after you create it? Will others have AutoCAD Map3D?