Modelling query re-post

deRabes

Hi

This is a repost - still hoping to get some help.

I have a tapered cylinder part onto which I want to attach blocks along the length. I want it to appear as one piece when finished and be able to edit the shape slightly to give it a nice sculpted organic look. This is like a flute and the blocks will have 3mm slots running up the middle along the length of the flute. I'm just wondering in a general sense how best to approach this project. If I can get advice on the best method I can research further. For example - should I be studying the sculpt facility for this or is there a better way? I'm enclosing my model thus far. Any links to relevant tutorials etc appreciated

AssemblyTest.zip

Of coure an assembly file (*.iam) without any part files (*.prt) is worthless.

Why did you start a new thread rather than simply continue the discussion thread started earlier?

An iam file is simply a list of hyperlinks to the part files and a record of assembly constraints.

There is (generally) no geometry definition in an assembly.

Is there a reason you are modeling as separate parts rather than as one?

Are you trying to model shrinkwrap packaging for a product or something similar?

More information is needed.

Have you gone through the (Inventor) tutorials in my signature?

I tried it as one model and tried it as an assembly. I'm wondering which is best. I want to apply the block or similar shape to the surface of the cylidrical shape and be able to change the shape slightly to give it a more organic, smooth look as if it was all carved from the one piece of wood. I've used Blender in the past and the sculpt tool in it is useful for this. I'm not looking for precise step by step instruction on this but a general comment on how I should proceed e.g using sculpt tool, using an assembly v one part as well as directions to video tutorials pertaining to this issue. This is not a packaging item. This will be machined from wood on a cnc router. So I just need to mount the blocks on the cylinder surface and join them a little more organically than the fillet tools offers. I am enclosing the drawing again including the geometry this time. Incidentally I have read your tutorials and find them very helpful but I don't think my particular problem is covered in them.

Thanks again

New folder.zip

I cannot open the file here at work as I dont have access to Inventor so I cant see exactly what you are trying to do, so this may not be a solution, try the loft command out, I've used it in Solidowrks to tweak some plastic handles in a similar fashion.