Create a gauge point on a drawing

rayhawk

Is there some way to create a gauge point on a drawing view? I can create a sketch with a point, but that point is not selectable once I exit the sketch mode. I tried the different point options, none seem to work. Basically, I want to show that horizontal sketch dimension in my drawing.

gage point.JPG

Oh, and another thing, how can I create a dimension from an item not shown in the view, as shown here, the 1.938 from R dimension. I know how to include the axis and do it for a diameter, but how can I do it for a linear dimension?

dim.JPG

For the first problem there are two horizontal dimensions - which one are you trying to add?

Rather than trying to add sketch in drawing - you can Show Sketch from the part to give you dimension points (you can then turn off), (or even Retrieve Dimensions from part).

For your first question, under the annotation tabe in you drawing there is a center mark command, use that to place a center mark on the center of the arc you are trying to locate (from your pics im assuming thats what you want to do). From there simply add your dimension.

I am trying to add the black horizontal dimension, the .281 that goes to a gauge point on the line shown. The blue dimensions are part of the drawing already, the black ones are in the sketch only.

Put a point in the part sketch (not the drawing sketch).

Alternatively you could sketch your own point (or a single very short line) in the drawing sketch and then turn off the visibility after dimensioning. As you have found - drawing sketch points will not remain visible after exit of sketch.

Actually now that I think about it - I thought you could right click Retrieve Dimensions from drawing sketches as well, but I don't have time to check that right now.

Put a point in the part sketch (not the drawing sketch).

Alternatively you could sketch your own point (or a single very short line) in the drawing sketch and then turn off the visibility after dimensioning. As you have found - drawing sketch points will not remain visible after exit of sketch.

Actually now that I think about it - I thought you could right click Retrieve Dimensions from drawing sketches as well, but I don't have time to check that right now.

Thanks, I just made work points in the model. Still seems odd to me that you don't have that flexibility to quickly show sketch points while making a drawing. As for the second question, it doesn't appear there is a built in functionality to do that easily. I will just do a manual sketch and override the dimension, although it is a shame to have to do that.

You should just be able to do it in a similar way to the diameter method.

I use General Dimension to the Axis that is shown and then right click and choose Linear Diametric or Symmetric.

You should just be able to do it in a similar way to the diameter method.

I use General Dimension to the Axis that is shown and then right click and choose Linear Diametric or Symmetric.

You are correct, I got it to work right, thanks. You just have to select the point or item, then the axis to get it to work the way I wanted. It seems that you can only get the symmetric distance to show though, not the actual distance from the axis to the point.