inventor 2011 3 d sketch help

ryansanderson172

Hi

Ive done some calcs and know the profile which I need to create to create my desired propeller blade, I need to draw each curve in turn, the problem being that I need them to be curved in two directions.

ive attached a couple of pics to help

As you can see Im having difficulties joing the two points (shows by green line on A4 drawn image) the line needs to be curved in two directions as shown on the A4 sketch.Does any body know how this can be done

thanks

ryan

.Capturejkjkjkjkjk.JPG

Capturenbbnnbnbn.JPG

In before

fully constrained sketches

!!!

o:)

On a more serious note, though, you'll need to do an intersect or a project in a 3D sketch. Make both your 2D sketches, then play around with those features in a 3D sketch.

As I said, you'll need to do an intersect or a project of some sort in a 3D sketch. To explain more fully: make 2 sketches in 2D, showing a top and front / side view of your shape. You will then probably need to extrude one of them as a surface, and then project the other one onto it in a 3D sketch, or just extrude both as surfaces and do an intersect in a 3D sketch.

Really, sorry about the other thing ... I just wanted to see if I could beat JD to the punch. Stick around, read some other threads. It'll make more sense then. :lol:

cheers, I can make the two points join up to make what i have drawn as the bottom view, but the triangle that is created is a straight face rather than curved alonge the large circles circumference. Im struggling as were almost self teaching as the tutor is a solid works user.

bang on, alright smart arse :-)

how the helllll.

Thats the first curve of many which im going to loft for my turbine design. I need a step by step idiots guide.

im guesing i do the two sketches, then extrude in 2d, then use the 3d sketch to pull out the intersection curve? owe you big time!!

Sounds like you've got it ... just take a look at the structure of the .IPT file I attached, you'll see how I strung everything together.

Inventor has a little bit of a learning curve, and if it makes you feel any better, I've never been able to wrap my head around Solidworks. I keep trying it out every couple years, but it's just completely opaque to me. I started off self-teaching Inventor about 2 years ago - you can watch my progress through my posts here, really - and with some effort and practice, I do this for a living now. :)

im guesing i do the two sketches, then extrude in 2d, then use the 3d sketch to pull out the intersection curve? owe you big time!!

The two extruded surfaces aren't needed (haven't been needed for 4 or 5 years).

Simply do a 3D sketch and select Intersection Curve and it will create the same curve as the intersecting surfaces.

Thanks for all your help, the trouble I had with 3d sketches is that when I drew an arc I couldn't control where the centre point of the arc was, it seemed to move along an axis by its self. Cheers

Ryan

ive managed to make my model, the problem im having now is that when i thicken the blade up by 2mm,(which is controlled by the material im using) because of the angle of the blade, some of the blade doesnt start at the hub, bu starts in mid air. fix for this?

ccccc.jpg

Capturenjjhjhn.JPG

Capturebh.JPG

You are doing too much work.

Do not pattern the surfaces.

If that blade pitch is actually a helix - then use the Coil command.

Otherwise continue as you are - but with only one blade - it can be patterned when done.

On the Surface tab click the down arrow and select Extend to extend the surface into the hub before Thicken.

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

hi, wheres the attach option, all i have is add pictures or links, ive created a zip file, but me being a dummy, dont know how to attach it here, is there no paper clip attach link?

just for info the surfcae fits the hub perfectly before thickened, once thickened the edges of the blade, due to the angle of the blade, do no fully touch the hub on one side, ive tried extendingt the surface before thickening but an error pops up, cheers

ryan

• 1 month later...