Layout space/viewport/viewmode

Lentezza

Hello,

I use AutoCad 2011 for Mac

I am having trouble in understanding how to use the layout space or maybe it is more correct to say the paperspace...

The thing I´d like to know is how to be able to zoom and pan my drawing inside a layout. And not to zoom or pan the whole layout. (I hope anybody understands wht I am trying to say...)

Or let me say it like this: I have different layouts in one when I zoom or pan the paperspace is zoomed or paned. In another it is the drawing in the paperspace that is changing.

Searching for answers in other threads I found things about values like VIEWMODE. When I type in this command I get the value but I found no way how to change it.

Thanks for help

Len

You use AutoCAD for Mac? You have my sincere condolences.

We draw all our model space objects FULL size no matter if they are the size of a paper clip or the size of a F14 fighter jet.

A layout is where our title block and border go. They are drawn at a scale of 1:1.

Viewports are "windows" that allow us to see the geometry we have created back in model space. It is the viewport(s) that a scale is applied to not our model space objects.

Viewports are created with the MVIEW command.

Viewports should be created on their own layer. That layer should be set to "no print".

Viewports can be resized via their grips. They can also be copied, rotated, moved, and deleted.

We can have up to a maximum of 64 viewports in one layout. The default setting is 16. The variable MAXACTVP controls this.

Once we have our viewport set up the way we like the viewport display should be locked so we do not inadvertently change the viewport scale.

Are you with me so far?

To move around inside of model space while in your layout you have to make a viewport active by clicking inside of it. Otherwise, all you are doing is moving around in your layout.

Your text and dimensions can go in model space or in your layout. There are pros and cons to each method. You should research each, be familiar with the differences, then choose what works best for you.

Plot from your layout at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD will handle scaling the contents of your viewport(s) automatically.

VIEWMODE

Stores the View mode for the current viewport. The bit code settings are 0, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16.

What those bit codes pertain to is covered in your AutoCAD Help file.

The setting can be changed at the command line by typing the word VIEWMODE.

Hi,

thanks for yur response and the condolences...So you have been working with the for Mac-Version?

(Maybe I would be better off in an Autocad for Mac-Forum? Do you know about one?)

The viewport-thing seems to be quite interesting. Unfortunatly it seems not to be the answer to my question. I put in some shots this time to be clearer...

And let me add my aim: plotting.

For preparing a plot from the modelspace I move here:

Menu.jpg

Paperspace 2.jpg

Sorry for using so man posts, couldn´t find out how the put text and attachments in order...

So in this specific layout the thing works and is controlable. When moving to another Layout the icon for locking/unlocking is not there and I could not find a way to make it appear....

As far as the viewmode is concerned let me quote from my opening post:

"Searching for answers in other threads I found things about values like VIEWMODE. When I type in this command I get the value but I found no way how to change it."

So telling me to type in VIEWPORT is not much of help....

Have a good day

Len

It is my great pleasure to be using the PC version of AutoCAD and not the Mac version.

I find no need to reset VIEWMODE so when I saw that it had a value of "0", and knew that it could be different (based upon the Help file info), I assumed it could be changed at the command line like any other variable. My bad. You can summon the firing squad at your pleasure.

One does not plot from model space (unless you aren't using layouts) so what do you mean by "preparing a plot from model space"?

I repeat...one "unlocks" a viewport so one can pan and zoom within that specific viewport. Once a viewport is locked and you execute a zoom or pan it applies to the layout only.

ReMark's response was right on the money, and succinct in a very expansive sort of a way. There was a great deal of very accurate information given. You seem to have missed the gist of it however. What you call layout 1 is paperspace. Each layout will have a paperspace in it, except for your model tab, which will take you to modelspace directly. From any of your layouts which has a viewport (window to modelspace), you can also access your modelspace, by double clicking inside of your viewport. By unlocking your viewport you are able to rescale your view in any particular viewport. To cycle between multiple viewports on one layout hold down your control button and press R until you activate whichever viewport you are trying to adjust. Once adjusted it is better to keep the viewport locked. The VIEWMODE system variable is explained in your AUTOCAD HELP (press f1 to access it). Search in the help section for SYSTEM VARIABLES and I bet you will find a wealth of useful information. It seems you would do well to plumb the depths of your HELP directory which comes with the program (enter f1, no waiting, and tons of information). You might like to start with chapter #1. Good luck.

Thank you for your helpful response! The answer was as simple as: double click. Sometimes it needs a forum...

By the way: do you reckon it´s a good idea to go to the formula 1 when you have no driving licsence?

Hope you sleep well!

Thank you for your helpful response! The answer was as simple as: double click. Sometimes it needs a forum...

By the way: do you reckon it´s a good idea to go to the formula 1 when you have no driving licsence?

Hope you sleep well!

Glad to help.

If you are interested in nothing more than GOING to the formula 1, no license, no problem. If on the other hand you are thinking about competing in the formula 1, then I should think at the very least you would want to have a valid learner's permit.

Keep it rubber side down.