New to AutoCad

sierrafast

Hello People.. I am new to Autocad and very eager to learn. I am looking for literature and other sites that will get me in the right direction. I am mainly want learn to draw 2D drawing and homeplans. I am currently 2012.. Would AutoCad Architecture better for what I want it?

For 2D drawing I would say Autocad is how you want to go, or at least a good place to start. If you already have Autocad 2012 on your computer, use it to learn the ropes. At such a time as you are ready for more Architectural applications you will probably want to get Autocad Architecture or Architecture Revit. There are lots of great tutorials on this site, as well as links to many other good autocad sites and resources. Youtube also has lots of instructional videos, if you search there. You can teach yourself quite a bit with the available free resources, and Autocad help materials. If you are sure you want to stay with it, then you should probably get some instruction from an Autocad training facility, an online course, or perhaps a college in your area. Good luck, so much to learn, so much fun to be had learning it. Ellen Finkelstein's Autocad Bibles are excellent reference books, which will assist you from beginner to advanced.

For 2D drawing I would say Autocad is how you want to go, or at least a good place to start. If you already have Autocad 2012 on your computer, use it to learn the ropes. At such a time as you are ready for more Architectural applications you will probably want to get Autocad Architecture or Architecture Revit. There are lots of great tutorials on this site, as well as links to many other good autocad sites and resources. Youtube also has lots of instructional videos, if you search there. You can teach yourself quite a bit with the available free resources, and Autocad help materials. If you are sure you want to stay with it, then you should probably get some instruction from an Autocad training facility, an online course, or perhaps a college in your area. Good luck, so much to learn, so much fun to be had learning it. Ellen Finkelstein's Autocad Bibles are excellent reference books, which will assist you from beginner to advanced.

I agree that YouTube is an excellent resource for pretty much everything these days. If I want to learn how to cook something, setup my new tv, learn the guitar, get the back cover off of my phone, do X etc I have always gone to YouTube and found the answer 99% of the time.

For 2D architecture plans I would say vanilla AutoCad is enough. A lot of people like Revit although I personally am not a huge fan of it.

You can't really beat Ellen Finklestein's AutoCad Bible as a reference guide although I wouldn't recommend it to someone starting out as it is not a tutorial/beginners book.

Yeah, Youtube is a reference unlike any other, throughout recorded history. We are living in the future. I bought the Autocad Bible before I took my basic instruction on Autocad 2009, and I definitely hit the ground running in my one on one two day course. I guess it depends on the student's foundation and mindset, definitely worth having at some point.

Somewhere along the line if you are really serious about architectural drafting and design it would pay for you to use the right tool which I believe would be Revit. But for the time being, as previously stated, AutoCAD 2012 will suffice.

Hello People.. I am new to Autocad and very eager to learn. I am looking for literature and other sites that will get me in the right direction. I am mainly want learn to draw 2D drawing and homeplans. I am currently 2012.. Would AutoCad Architecture better for what I want it?

Just move to Revit Architecture and don't even mess with AutoCAD.