Editing Text in the Title Block in AutoCad Architecture 2012 ???

Nickgf

I been working through Ellen Finklesteins AutoCad bible (using AutoCad Architecture 2012) and in the first exercise (quick start, drawing a window) I was going ok until I had to edit the title block and no matter what I tried in AutoCad Architecture 2012 I could not find a way to edit the title block. Any help to get this done would be great as I don't like to leave an exercise unfinished. Maybe I should have bought a book that was specific to AutoCad Architecture 2012.

Thanks ... Nick

And what did you try?

I got as far as getting the title block to enlarge and selecting the text but as there was no MTEXT when I right clicked I went to Annotate and clicked A text and tried every which way to get that to edit with no success.

I been working through Ellen Finklesteins AutoCad bible (using AutoCad Architecture 2012) and in the first exercise (quick start, drawing a window) I was going ok until I had to edit the title block and no matter what I tried in AutoCad Architecture 2012 I could not find a way to edit the title block. Any help to get this done would be great as I don't like to leave an exercise unfinished. Maybe I should have bought a book that was specific to AutoCad Architecture 2012.

Thanks ... Nick

I'm not understanding something. Are you wanting to learn AutoCAD, or AutoCAD Architecture? You have to crawl before you can walk, and if you are trying to learn AutoCAD Architecture before even knowing AutoCAD, then you're trying to sprint before you have even crawled yet.

You still have the basic AutoCAD profile if you have AutoCAD Architecture installed. My suggestion would be to nix the AutoCAD Architecture profile, and stay in the standard AutoCAD profile, and continue your learning.

Edited by tzframpton

You still have the basic AutoCAD profile if you have AutoCAD Architecture installed. My suggestion would be to nix the AutoCAD Architecture profile, and stay in the standard AutoCAD profile, and continue your learning.

That makes sense but how do you nix the Architecture profile and select and stay in the standard AutoCad profile.

Resetting your user profile.jpgGo to your options (right click in your commandline), or enter OPTIONS in your commandline, then hit ENTER.

Don't erase any profiles, just select AUTOCAD and set current.

Later when you are ready to give Autocad Architecture another shot, select and set that profile as current.

Also if you re-insert the CD and re-initiate the install, you can go in and install the AutoCAD icon.

Or, manually, you can just copy/paste the AutoCAD Architecture icon and change the command switch to load the default AutoCAD profile.

Or, manually, you can just copy/paste the AutoCAD Architecture icon and change the command switch to load the default AutoCAD profile.

Ok I'm starting to feel inadeqate here ... but I am getting there, I got the standard Autocad up and running but it would be nice if I can get it to run from a deshtop icon like you suggest. I don't have a cd as I downloaded from the internet so maybe you could give me a bit more detail on manually changing the command switch (what ever that is) to achieve the above.

All advice with thanks

Ok I'm starting to feel inadeqate here ... but I am getting there, I got the standard Autocad up and running but it would be nice if I can get it to run from a deshtop icon like you suggest. I don't have a cd as I downloaded from the internet so maybe you could give me a bit more detail on manually changing the command switch (what ever that is) to achieve the above.

All advice with thanks

Lol, sorry, sometimes I forget what it was like to be a beginner. We were all there once, trust me. Okay, step by step.....

First, refer to this link in the AutoCAD help file to better understand what a Command Switch is. http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-79ba.htm

Okay, now on to Profiles. First off, when you are in AutoCAD, you can type OPTIONS at the command line and click the Profiles tab. This is where you can switch AutoCAD Profiles at any time while the program is active. Dadgad already gave an example in his post. If you notice on my screen shot, I have many Profiles that I work with. If you click the AutoCAD profile and click "Set Current" it'll switch. Notice the image below:

01_Profiles.png

Now this can become redundant that you always have to do this after you open the program. This is the beauty if having a Command Switch so you can customize an icon to do this work for you. Right click on your icon on the desktop, click Properties:

02_right_click.png

Now you can see the "Target" text box. This is where all the magic happens. Notice on my icon the "/p" which is the command switch for Profiles. It's set to open the AutoCAD Architecture profile under the US Imperial catalog settings. Well if I want this icon to open directly in the default AutoCAD profile, I'll simply make a copy of this icon. Then I'll right click, go to Properties, then inside the parenthesis I will change "AutoCAD Architecture (US Imperial)" to just "AutoCAD". This way this icon will always open in the vanilla AutoCAD profile and not the AutoCAD Architecture profile.

03_command_switch.png

Keep in mind all the other options under the Command Switch link I provide above. You can automatically set the default Workspace to open in, or a default Template, etc. This really can improve consistency and efficiency as you begin to really dive into the program.

Hope this helps you better. :)