Very Strange Inventor Problem

zildjian

G'day,

I have a stange inventor problem i am hoping some one can help me with. I am currently running Inventor Professional 2011.

The problem occurs when attempting to create a section view, detail view, croping or any other type of view editing command in the .idw drawing.

First of all i place my base view, then when i am wanting to section or any of the other i get this error message

'The specified inputs did not create sweep geometry (faces and/or edges). Try by changing path geometry and/or creating the profile on a sketch plane that is perpendicular to the path and contains one of the path vertices.'

Now the strange part is that if i reduce the length of the Part i do not get the error message.

It seems inventor can not handle very long parts (my part is approximatly 1000 metres long)

is there a way that i can create section views/ detail veiws/ crop ?

I have attached a screen shot.

strange.jpg

thanks.

I have consulted an Inventor Expert and it turns out inventor does have limitations and this problem i have is one of them. Inventor can not handle such large parts.

I have consulted an Inventor Expert and it turns out inventor does have limitations and this problem i have is one of them. Inventor can not handle such large parts.

Why don't you draw a scaled version of your part??

Scaling the part is not a bad solution, however in this case this one part is a small portion of hundreds of parts.

thanks for reply

The maximum size of an Inventor part model (only part) is bounded by a cube of 10000cm X10000cm X 10000cm. When a solid body exceeds the boundary, the modeling commands will behave unpredictably.

For assembly, there is no internal size limit on how big an assembly can be. However, it is restricted by hardware (memory, CPU) and OS (maximum floating number allowed).

Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

My question - is your 100000cm part different in form all along that length? Perhaps a shorter modeled section will suffice.

In the assembly - when zoomed to fit on a monitor or plottted on sheet of paper - can you such detail of the entire assembly that you need it modeled completely? (Can you post screen shot?).

BTW - other CAD programs have this limitation as well. Tricks like scaling and simplification are used to get around the limitation.

• 5 months later...

I have Assembly with adaptive parts connected to excel file.

When changing excel the iam has to change but gives errors. Before it worked fine.

When i got the error and then make a new part in the same inventor session, I get the same error when extruding a simple small rectangle.

I have to close Inventor and startup again to make extruding work again.

So it seems that Inventor changes something internally to work incorrectly.

When I open the iam in 2012 every thing is ok.

But... I can't use 2012 yet because of Vault, update, etc.

So, it seems to be a bug in Inventor Suite 2011 (SP2) ?

????

Marco

Edited by macchi