AutoCAD 2010 LT runs really slow!?

InvisibleLine

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask, I am using AutoCAD 2010 LT at work and it runs really, really slow. It pretty much freezes up on me when I try to view a large drawing or select more than a hundred lines/objects at a time. It's really affecting my work, just now I was copying everything over to a new drawing the window just locked up and blinked over and over again for about 45 minutes to select everything, then another 30 minutes to paste it in a new document.

The actual selecting doesn't take long, neither does the copy/paste, but the window is unresponsive and keeps blinking as it tries to draw the dotted lines on what I selected.

I don't understand why? there is no such issue at home.

The work computer's not that old (in fact barely 3 months old) and it's not low spec.

I even have trouble zooming out to view the whole drawing, it seems the graphics or CPU is unable to render all the lines fast enough so the whole window just keeps blinking and it takes several minutes to do anything, even pan around.

It keeps blinking between these two frames:

acadltfreezing1.png

acadltfreezing2.png

my work computer's spec

systemspec.png

-Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• f700es

• bill_borec

• InvisibleLine

Top Posters In This Topic

The HD 4800 series passes with 2012 so I would imagine that the 6300 series would too.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert/details?siteID=123112&catID=16303594&id=16391880&product=11&os=8192&card=24

Seems (the card) to have DX11 support as well.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13824_na/13824_na.HTML

It would be nice to have more ram though...

I concur with the other posters, this machine should be smoking fast with LT. The OS is 64-bit...is your version of ACAD LT 64-bit? Could this be causing conflict? What Virus Scan? What other processes are running in the background? How much of the system resources are really available? When's the last time you ran a virus scan or a malware check? Does the system run slow with other software, or just ACAD?

Do you have infocenter disabled?

New stuff breaks, make sure all connections on graphics card and monitor are tight. Might try another card.

What size swap file (virtual memory) are you using?

Does the file have xrefs in it?

Does this problem show in a new drawing?

Have you turned Aero off in Win7?

Start LT with a new profile and see if there is any difference.

wow so many answers!

didn't realize the screen shots wouldn't work well.

I'm using my work computer,

AMD X4 965 CPU with dedicated ATI 6350 graphics card

8 GB DDR3 dual channel

My home computer is the nice one that's just blazing fast...

Anyway, the hardware is seems to be fine, all the connections and everything is OK.

AutoCAD 2010 LT is 64 bit,

Ran windows update yesterday, if there's new drivers, etc it should be installed.

Running Win 7 Pro x64, have Aero on but it's never interfered with anything before. Windows Exp. Index = 4.8

Processes count: 70

adobe acrobat (2)

ATI (2)

acadlt

acad communication center

broadcom management agent

chrome.exe (12)

Dropbox.exe (used in place of a server)

ESET NOD32 antivirus business ed (2)

geplugin (google earth)

outlook 2010 (background/tray)

SearchIndexer

HP Support (2)

FNP Licensing (2)

windows Live (2)

all the other processes are windows/system, 39.

task manager shows 4 CPUs, acadlt uses 1 CPU almost all the time,

physical mem usage is 3.70 GB of 8 GB

with Autocad using about 1,206,000 K right now.

next nighest is geplugin, at 347,000 K.

ESET / NOD32 runs a virus scan each morning when I turn on the computer. so far no problems.

----------

no pdf's attached or referenced. however the file was converted from a PDF using Corel Draw X3. The PDF had everything as SVG (vector graphics), using Corel I converted it to a DWG. I didn't have any problems doing that part of the process, infact it was pretty fast to do.

virtual memory / page file is set to "system managed" which is 8187 MB (same as physical RAM).

what is infocenter?

The file has 2 xrefs, the company logo and a small GIF-compressed map (that will be later used in the layout).

The problem only occurs in this file. I'm guessing there too many lines? even then I've worked with larger drawing and it's never been this bad.

turning off Aero makes little or no performance improvement.

I tried LT with a new profile, still same problem with this file.

I've even copied the drawing from the old file to a new one but it still happens.

Just this one file is causing all the problems?

Did you purge the drawing?

Have you run an audit on the drawing?

What is the file size of the drawing?

Kill the communications center while you are at it.

2010? Are you current with all updates?

A windows update MAY not pick up on the video driver. You may try reinstalling the video/graphics card driver directly from the manufacturer to make sure you have the latest/greatest. What do you mean by "too many lines"...I am not aware of Autocad having a limit on lines...I have copied, moved, deleted, selected several 10k lines at once and not had a 30-minute slow down with lesser machines. Have you tried the old windows standby? (power down and reboot?) I'm sure you have. Just throwing it out there.