Standard.dwg template

StemDriller

Hi All

We are just Installer Inventor here in the office and have renamed the 'Standard' Standard.dwg template.

When we create a new drawing the software points to the Templates folder and we select the relavent template, but if we try and do this from the toolbar is errors and tells us it cannot find the 'Standard.dwg'.

Is there a way I can configure Inventor to change the default template name from Standard??

Regards

Gareth

In your OPTIONS, on the FILE tab you can set your template preferences by clicking on template settings and designating amongst other things, your default template file name for QNEW.

At least that is what you would do in any other Autocad product with which I am familiar. Having just looked on INVENTOR FUSION I am mystified by my inability to locate the OPTIONS.

Searching on the WIKI help for INVENTOR I see this, but am time constrained, racing out the door. It is different on Inventor, but it you want to set more familiar AUTOCD style options you can by importing an .xml file. Surely somebody conversant in INVENTOR will help you sort it out, if you are unable to.

inventor options.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad,

Thanks for replying.

Your response is correct for AutoCad 2011, but for Inventor it looks like it is different, as I have seen the QNEW in AutoCad 2011.

Is it possible that yuou simply cannot rename this 'Standard.dwg' file??

In your OPTIONS, on the FILE tab you can set your template preferences by clicking on template settings and designating amongst other things, your default template file name for QNEW.

At least that is what you would do in any other Autocad product with which I am familiar. Having just looked on INVENTOR FUSION I am mystified by my inability to locate the OPTIONS.

Searching on the WIKI help for INVENTOR I see this, but am time constrained, racing out the door. It is different on Inventor, but it you want to set more familiar AUTOCD style options you can by importing an .xml file. Surely somebody conversant in INVENTOR will help you sort it out, if you are unable to.

Gareth if you have renamed the Standard.dwg, then it does not surprise me that the program cannot find it. It no longer exists. I would suggest resaving one of the drawings which you have already done with save as and giving it the new name which you previously gave the original standard.dwg. When you save it use whatever the file type is of the available templates in your templates folder.

Apparently one is able to rename the standard.dwg, as it seems that is exactly what you have accomplished. Presumably you will also need to change the path properties to reflect that name change. Barring that, there is no way that the program will find it.

It is extremely frustrating for me to have to be so hypothetical in my responses, unfortunately I am out of my comfort zone here. I am eager to learn Inventor though, as I am much more drawn to it than Solidworks for software offering enhanced 3D functionality.