Delayed block insertion from tool palette

krimson

I posted this on the Autodesk forms, but so far no replies. :unsure:

We are having an issue while inserting blocks from the tool palette. Inserting a block from the tool palette takes about 5 seconds per block. Pick a block, wait 5 seconds, pick insertion point. Last week it took maybe 1 second. It doesn't sound like much, but we use alot of blocks everyday, and waiting 5 seconds everytime gets annoying. Especially when it used to be almost instantanious. We also have our blocks in our template. The template is on the server. If you type insert, and insert the block that way, it loads fast, like it used to using the tool palette.

Most of the blocks are simple text or shapes. None are dynamic. We also have some hatches in there, that are unaffected by the delay. They insert quickly.

Another thing has changed. The time it takes to change to a different tab on the palette has grown. A tab with about 10 blocks used to take about 6 seconds to load, now takes a good 30 seconds. And a tab with about 30 blocks that used to take about 12 seconds, now takes about a minute and a half! Once the tool palette and each tab has been opened for the first time, say first thing in the morning when cad is first opened, the delay is gone. They switch betweeen tabs with no delays.

The only thing that I know of that has changed that coincides with this is last week we made a few changes to the template. We removed a few sheets that we no longer use. Could this have done something? The blocks are still in the template. We have 3 pc's that are affected in the same way, at the same time.

I've tried a few things to remedy this. I am by no means a cad guru. I created a .dwg with all the blocks in it. Made another tab on the tool palette using the blocks from the .dwg. Still the same delay. I tried creating a new palette using the design center and the blocks .dwg I made, but cad locks up on me and I have to restart cad. I tried that twice.

I've done some Google searches, but haven't seen any solutions., but have seen some with similar issues. We are running AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010 on Vista Business 64bit. Anything to try would be help. It's driving me crazy! Thanks. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krimson

• ReMark

• SLW210

• cjenner0

That's what I would expect him to say. I'm leaning towards a server type problem. Maybe it is the "pathing" or maybe IT needs to clean out all the temp (TMP) files that have accumulated over time. It cannot be coincidence that the three PCs running Civil all have the same problem at the same time.

The only problem is it had been working for 2 years, with no delay. And as far as I know, nothing has been done to change this. Same server, same firewall, same pc, same blocks, etc.

I also tried this. I created a .dwg and called it "blocks" and kept it locally on my c drive. Created a totally new tool palette with those blocks and get the same delay. This time the blocks weren't coming from the server, they were coming locally from my pc. I also purged all the blocks, same thing. I also had just deleted all my temp files, and rebooted. I did gain about 5gig of space though!

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

So I've been trying to figure this out. Trying to eliminate the server from the problem before I say it's a server issue with IT. I have a company pc which I use at home. It has the same setup. I get frustrated when I work at home because there is no delay there. Until . . . yesterday. I found some sort of common ground. Bear with me while I try to explain.

As I stated in the beginning, the only changes that were made to the template where some layouts removed. Well, actually there was another change. My co-worker also added a block to the new layout. We have a block with attributes we use on one of the layouts that we wanted to put in the new layout as well. He copied the block to the new layout, exploded it and renamed it and so forth. I don't mess with that part, so not sure exactly how you go about doing it. It was at that time we noticed the block insertion lag. Speed ahead to last night. I wanted to use a block from the office on my work pc at home. No big deal really. I took a copy of the block home in the same "blocks" dwg that I use at home for the blocks in the tool palette. I already had a version of this block at home with the same name. This is where it gets fuzzy on the order of what I did next. Knowing I would need to get rid of the blocks with duplicate names, I deleted the block from the tool palette. I aso deleted the "old" block from the master blocks dwg. I purged out the blocks with that name and then copied the "new" block to the dwg. Copied the block to the tool palette and redefined it. All seemed good. Until I swithched tabs on the tool palette, and new instantly that the lag was there. It took about 30 seconds for the tab to be ready to use. Just the night before it took about 7 seconds. Tried inserting some blocks, and the delay is about a second. Granted not alot, but I noticed it immediately. I figure the lag is alot less for 2 reasons: 1)the pc at home is brand new, way faster, more ram, etc. than the ones at the office and 2) I am not doing anything at home from a server, it's all local. I tried to delete the block from the tool palette and delete and purge it from the master "blocks" dwg to see if it would reverse the effect. It did not. The damage had been done. :(

So the only common thread I can see is we both made some sort of changes to a block. Both blocks have attributes. Also, the pc at home is on the "old" template, before the changes were made to the one at the office. Anything you can suggest to try I would greatly appreciate! Short of reinstalling and starting over from scratch, I'm not sure what to try next. This thing will not beat me! :P And thank you if you read this whole thing. I tried to give enought details.

Yes, I read the whole thing. Where's my prize? LOL

So this master "blocks" drawing is now kaput. Do you typically Purge and Audit your drawings? If and when you Purge do you use the command line version?

It would seem so.

No, I don't typically purge and audit. I don't even no what audit means, lol. Only on rare occasions do I need to purge anything out. And yes, I usually type "purge" in the command line, if thats what you mean.

Help me fix this, and I'll see about a prize. ;)

First I would run the command line version of purge by typing -purge.

I would purge only REGAPPS the first time around.

Next, run the same command a second time and purge ALL.

Finally, I would run the AUDIT command and instruct AutoCAD to fix all errors.

I have a recorded macro that does all this plus a couple of other steps (like Zoom > Extents and Save) that I run on each and every drawing before I move onto the next.

I'm guessing your source drawing for the blocks has put on a lot of weight with the recent changes made to it.

I had similar delays when dragging blocks from Design Center after I started adding 3D blocks to my master block library drawing.

I have a recorded macro that does all this plus a couple of other steps (like Zoom > Extents and Save) that I run on each and every drawing before I move onto the next.

When I type -purge and then regapps, it asks " enter name(s) to purge. What am I to do?

When I type -purge and then regapps, it asks " enter name(s) to purge. What am I to do?

Hit Enter again, then answer no unless you want to go through them 1-by-1.

I did all of that, and nothing has changed. I did it to the master blocks dwg. Then I did it to the template.