Copy within box....

longweight

Hi all,

I would like to know if the following is possible in AutoCAD as it would save me a large amount of time, just not sure what to ask Google for!

Here we go...

1. I want to copy the area shown in this image into another file but only the stuff within the rectangle..

picture.php?albumid=1747&pictureid=25004

Which would result in this:

picture.php?albumid=1747&pictureid=25005

Currently I have to draw the rectangle and then trim the lines to get what I want.

I just want to know if there is a simple command that will let me draw a rectangle and copy only the lines within that rectangle.

Thanks

Long

XREF the file into the other drawing and in PaperSpace Layout create a viewport to show the area you want. If anything changes in the original (parent) drawing it will show in the new (child) drawing.

I believe that "cookiecutter" is the same as the Express Tool "Extrim", and would still require drawing actually drawing the cutting box.

Unless you want to modify your source drawing, I think your only real choice is to draw a crossing window (right to left) around the portion you need, and either copy/paste or WBLOCK the selection into another drawing. You'll still have to draw the rectangle and TRIM (or EXTRIM), even if you weren't using LT.

Use a viewport and _EXPORTLAYOUT. This will create a new model space drawing of your layout tab.

You just made my life a little bit easier. :)

Like I always say, you can learn something new every day. I've been using extrim and before that a lisp that did something similar. Had never paid any attention to exportlayout. That's much quicker for what I do! supergroovycool!

exportlayout is a new one to me as well, before this was explained i would have just copy the section i wanted and opened it in a new drawing then edit the lines etc to what i wanted it works ?