Swap block?

salmonrose

I'm not very familiar with how AutoCAD works so I'll explain my situation in detail to provide as much info as possible.

My situation:

When I open a new drawing, a bunch of pre-defined blocks will loaded and our title block is one of them. In the title block (named TB), there is our company logo and a mtext box which has our office address.

We've moved office recently and our tech guy has already updated the title block to show our new address. However, I have a bunch of drawings still have old address shown because they were created before we moved.

What I am trying to do:

My ultimate goal is to update address on all of my old draws (there are over a hundred of them) with the new address. I don't want to retype the address a hundred time. So I am hoping to replace the old title block with the new one.

The title block name hasn't changed. So I opened a new drawing which loaded with the new address in the title block; copy the title block (TB) and insert it an old drawing. However, after I insert it, I noticed the address is still the old one. I believe it is because my old drawing already has TB as a defined block and when I insert TB, it is referencing to the existing TB the drawing has which is not what I want.

How can I do this? Maybe I am not doing it right by inserting the new TB into an old drawing. Please let me know what I should be doing in order to achive my goal.

Thanks!

The reason it is not changing your address is because it is not redefining the block. If you use the Design Center to insert a block it will prompt you weather or not to Insert or Redefine the block. However that would be tedious.

The way I would go about it is to delete the old title block and then purge the drawing and then insert your new title block which will have your new address on it. I would also write a script file to automate this process as well then use Batch Script Pro to have it fully automated by opening up each drawing then running the batch script on it.

If you don't use Batch Script Processor (or a similar program) then you can just drag and drop the script file into the drawing from Windows Exploder (err Explorer) ;)

Click that >> Batch Script Processor

Check out the attached script file for an example.

Insert-Recd-Stmp.scr

Edited by ScribbleJ

look into the INSERT command and you will see you have a few options.

INSERT BlockName= is probably the command you need. This can be done through a script if you are doing a lot.

edit---

and if your block has attributes you will need to issue a ATTSYNC command too.

Edited by dbroada
additional info