how to reset the ribbon

bratuttle

I am new to AutoCAD and am trying to self teach myself using the autocad bible as a reference. I am on chapter 3 and was following the suggestions for moving the ribbon by undocking it. Great, but now I can't get it back to the top where it started. It moves left and right just fine. I tried undo 100, no help. I tried restarting my computer but it has now transfered to all of my practice drawings as well, all have the ribbon on the side. Thanks, Brooks.

I use the Ribbon very infrequently, but try right-clicking on the Ribbon titlebar, and make sure "Allow Docking" has a check mark next to it. If that's "checked" you should be able to drag the Ribbon by the titlebar and dock it Top, Left or Right.

Welcome to CADTutor!

Nestly beat me to the punch! :thumbsup: LoL

An undocked Ribbon Tool Palette can be docked (at the top), by simply dragging the Ribbon Tool Palette toward the top of your screen until you see the outline appear of the top placement (left-click the title bar and drag).

Hope this helps! (HTH)

thanks for the info. 2012 LT did not have a "top" dock choice just left or right. I finally grabbed it and chucked it up far enough that it didn't just make it larger vertically. brooks.

• 6 months later...

Try Holding down your Ctrl Key and move the ribbon to the top of your AutoCAD window.

The reason your Ribbon is not docking up above is because your "Floating Windows" & or "Docked Windows" are locked.

You could also type in "LOCKUI" enter a value of "5" and move the ribbon into place without holding down the Ctrl key.

But don't forget, If you want your windows locked the way they were prior to type "LOCKUI" and enter the default value of lockui before you changed it to "5"