Centre axis of part

deRabes

Hi List

I have a tapered cylindrical part onto which I have added rectangular blocks. I need to export it as a .stl with the centre axis down the middle of the cylinder. However it coming out with the centre axis down the middle of the diametre of the entire piece (including the blocks), so that it offset from the cylinder. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

ChanterDLargeBlocks.ipt

Drag Sketch1 to the origin.

Some of your features will go sick.

Edit each of those sketches and orient appropriate to the origin (I think all you need is a construction line from origin and dimension - but I didn't check the entire part).

I have constrained sketch1 to origin as suggested and the others followed with no problem. It hasn't done anything for my problem however. When I export as a .stl for machining the centre axis is not down the middle of the cylinder part. This does seem to be a problem with the part and not the .stl import as it appears the same in both DeskProto and Rhino packages.

ChanterDLargeBlocks.ipt

Can you be a little more specific. Do you mean the drawing doesn't open for you? I have downloaded it from the post and it opens perfectly. Don't know what's going on there.

Training is not an option where I live.

.stl is the recommended format for the CAM program I'm using, DeskPropto. Everything else is working well with it.

If you look at the browser you will see i in circle next to many features indicating problem with that feature/sketch. (as I indicated earlier)

Also an inspection of the part indicates missing counterbore (spotface) features.

In general it looks like you are doing wayyy too much work creating the geometry.

When I see something like this I begin to suspect the geometry as well (my bet is there are real mistakes in the geometry).

stl is coursely faceted surfaces - I have never heard of anyone using this for production code.