Dimensioning in Architectural Units

Eby

Im having an issue with my dimensions when set on the architectural units settings. The dimensions are coming up as inches even though I hav the setting set to feet. When I change over to decimal feet the dimensions show as feet. Any help would be appreciated.

Make sure and check the dimension properties in the 'primary units' in DDIM (dimension style manager). You want to check the precision, units, scale, style, etc. Even in inches, is the dimension giving the proper length? Is this a scale issue? Architectural units setting (style) does normally use inches, as opposed to decimal feet.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

I changed the scale factor to 12 in the ddim and the units are now listed in feet and inches. I know this is not the proper way to set the drawing up, can anyone give some advise on why the scale factor change made this happen. Does this mean I was drawing in inches to begin with?

If your drawing settings are set to feet, and you want to use dimensions with Architectural, you will have to give that dimension style a scale of 12. If you create another dimension style and set it to Decimal, you will get the correct measurement with a scale of 1. The bottom line is that Autocad forces Architectural and Engineering Units to be inches...so the Architectural (or Engineering) style is reading each distance of 1 unit as 1 inch, no matter what your drawing settings are. It seems strange, but it is normal, and it sounds like what you are doing is fine. With Decimal, it should be what you expect (you may have to then add a suffix ' for the feet symbol).

p.s. to really check the drawing settings in Civil 3D, type "-AECDWGUNITS" (with the dash).

Do you share your drawings with other cad drafters? If so you need to set the drawing up correctly.

What do you have set to Feet?

Yes, it sounds like you are drawing in inches.

Architectural units are Feet and Inches. Draw a line 13 units long and dimension. What is displayed? It should be 1'-1" in Architectural units, Input feet with ' (feet symbol) like 1' otherwise you are inputting inches. So for 1'-1" INPUT should be 1'1" or 1'-1" or 13 or 13".

All the other dim unit options except Engineering (it is decimal inches) display 1 unit = 1 unit of measure, it can be inches, feet, millimeters, meters, miles, etc.