match line in Acad LT

khair

I have moved your question to it's own thread.

In the future, when you have a question, please start a new thread instead of tacking your question on to the end of someone else's thread. ;)

I made a block that has 4 arrowheads, 4 mtext boxes and a line. When I need a matchline, I just insert that block, stretch it to whatever size it needs to be and change the text appropriately. One of the lisp gurus probably has a routine for drawing one. Try a search or ask in the lisp forum.

--edit---sorry, just realized you said you were using LT... No lisp for you! Draw one, make it a block and then you'll always have it....or swipe the one out of the drawing you're looking at.

apologies for the first thread. I was worried about repeating a question that was already posted.

anyway, the match line is applicable in layout only, yes?

could anyone explain to main function of this match line?does it actually allow me to combine 2 separate drawing files, at the already existing match lines in both drawings?

*could not find much info on the match line topic. Thnx for the quick replies!:)

apologies for the first thread. I was worried about repeating a question that was already posted.

anyway, the match line is applicable in layout only, yes?

could anyone explain to main function of this match line?does it actually allow me to combine 2 separate drawing files, at the already existing match lines in both drawings?

*could not find much info on the match line topic. Thnx for the quick replies!:)

What a matchline is for is to simply know where the overlap is if you have to split a drawing onto more than one page. In the image below, what you see on the left is a screen shot of what I call a keyplan. This shows the locations of curtainwall elevations on a very general outline of the building. On the right is a zoomed up view of the matchline. It tells you that anything above is on sheet 100, anything below is on sheet 101.

matchline.jpg

When pubished to pdf (or printed on paper) sheet 101 looks like this:

matchline2.jpg

thanks Jack O'neil. :) Still, what I have now are the 2 drawings, without the keyplan. Imagine if you received drawings 100 and 101. Dwg 100 does not have the details of the 101 in the model space, and vice versa. thus, I have to combine the 2 drawings so that everything are included in 1 drawing. Other than editing each drawings then doing xref, or copy+paste, is there any way i can utilise the match line that is present? I hope i'm not confusing you. ;p

another question..so i suppose we can input out own match line whenever we want to split drawings? is the match line used for indicative purpose only or does it an actual function?

The match line is simply a visual aide drawn on the plan. It is a conventional standard around the world. There is no such thing as a Match Line option, tool, function, or otherwise. You can draw one, and make a block of it and re-use it if you like. In AutoCad, since you do not actually physically separate the two sections of the drawing, there would be no need to "stich" them back together. If someone has separated a drawing in AutoCad so it will fit on two or more pages, then their conceptualization and logic abilities are suspect.

Whoever broke your drawing 100 and 101 apart into two drawings may have used a clip of either a block or xref. Doing otherwise would have been very wasteful.

I would take a copy with basepoint selection from dwg 101 and simply paste it into dwg 100, then sit and try to figure out how to overlap the two parts again.

What Dana said. I'd paste both pieces into a new drawing as blocks so you can move them around as needed. If the person actually did split the drawings at the match line, they should "match" back up perfectly. If not, well, you may have a puzzle on your hands.

If you can get them into Paintshop or photoshop you can stitch them together, but I think that may be like swatting a fly with a backhoe. (let's see what babblefish does to that).

If you can get them into Paintshop or photoshop you can stitch them together, but I think that may be like swatting a fly with a backhoe. (let's see what babblefish does to that).

Wouldn't they need to be something besides a dwg for that? Or did I miss where he said they weren't dwgs already? Too much cold medicine today, can't remember.

Wouldn't they need to be something besides a dwg for that? Or did I miss where he said they weren't dwgs already? Too much cold medicine today' date=' can't remember.[/quote']

I was just being hyperbolic.

Yeah, they'd have to be an image. I force fed a couple of pdf's into Paintshop Pro to stitch and then brought the finished image into AutoCad for a background. I don't really remember what they were converted to though. I wanna say jpg. It was not a 'can'o'corn by any means.

OP did mention modelspace so I guess he does have dwg files.