Information overload.....

dpt90

Hey guys, just a uni student rookie here. I know this has probably been asked a trillion times on the forum....so please just bear with me.....

I have been playing with inventor for a while now and I feel like my calling is more towards the architectural side of things.....So I have been doing some research now and am completely confused as to which direction to go.....

I have AutoCad Architecture and on the other hand I have Revit Architecture. I understand that ACA you can do a lot of small detailed changes and that Revit is more for industrial sized jobs. By the sounds of that I am leaning towards ACA but, then I find that Revit is going to be the first choice program in a few years and is also a lot more GUI friendly.

I also seem to notice that there is a far greater abundance in tutorials for Revit and scarcly any for ACA.

What I wanna do is design "homes with specific needs" and small scaled jobs like that. can anyone point me in the right direction please??:cry:

any help would be appreciated...

Welcome to CADTutor!

In a booming economy being highly specialized can be lucrative. Currently, however, one who is adaptable is more likely to land a job, methinks.

Totally agree with what you are say!

I currently have a copy of ACA Student edition which is I'm going to have to say, is very alien to me.... Havent really been able to find many tutorials as such to the degree I need...which is very basic... Because of this lack of simple information I was thinking that If I could pick up the software more relevant to me and pick up the other one later on as i hear there are a few crossovers.....

Learn them both. Since Revit and ACA work differently it will be a challenge to keep them straight, but it will improve your marketability in the job search. If you are going into business for yourself, you could choose the one you like using most, but having both skill sets will open more markets there too. Revit use is growing by leaps and bounds, but there are still a lot of companies out there that haven't made the switch. Don't count AutoCAD out yet.

There usually is an industry favorite (not sure which that is for architecture), but it really depends on the employer which you eventually apply. Perhaps you can research potential employers, that you may be interested in working for, and see what it is that they are using for the kind of work that you'd like to do yourself. Not that you'll still pursue working for 'Company A' when out of college, per-se. Just saying.

Cheers! :beer: