duggie-APE

Hi folks,

Maybe a noobie question ....

Can I program a macro command to do the following steps:

1. Generate a 2D idw file

2. Annotate each piece on the 2D drawing

3. Create a BOM

4. Export the BOM to an Excel file

5. Export the model assembly to a Parasolid file (.x_t)

Those are the steps I do now in my drawing process and I am wondering if they can be made into a "1 button" command / solution.

I am not too familiar with the cool things Inventor can do, but if I can program it to do these steps, it would be a be time saver.

note: - I have a universal remote at home that I have programmed to do certain steps like turning on my TV, switching to the DVD, etc. and I hope I can program Inventor can do something along the same lines.

Any assistance would be appreciated ...

duggie

Duggie, is this a sort of 'standard' type of drawing you'll be creating?

I'm working on something like that at the moment. It's for a sheet metal assembly, where a user input of length+width+height (in a spreadsheet) produces an assembly taking account of other parameters e.g. after 500mm add a round bar here, put fixing holes here etc. I created the assembly then changed the dimensions to a reference/parameter linked to an excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet itself contained all the formula etc for the other dimensions.

I update the spreadsheet and the drawings all update. I've only mastered up to "3. Create a BOM" :unsure: dunno how to automate 4 & 5.

I'll be honest with you, it was a right pain in the backside. I'm sure if I spent more time on it, it would get a lot easier. I would do some tutorials, http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0733-Design_O733/0736-Paramete736 or maybe look into a book. The Autodesk standard tutorials are very basic for Inventor, in my opinion.