Modify Default Start Up Drawing.

Yankeepop

I've been away from AutoCAD for about 10 years and just getting back into it with AutoCAD2012 so I need help with some of the basics again.

I want to modify my default start up drawing. ie. Change my units, grid off, text and dimscale, zoom out, etc.

I have no problem doing all that but don't know how or where to save it so it becomes my default start up drawing.

Save it as a DWT (Drawing Template file). You can put it in with the other DWT files that comes with AutoCAD and when you start a drawing click on File > NEW and select your custom template. Do a "saveas" once you've gotten a bit into the drawing and save it under a new name and as a DWG file to a folder of your choosing.

Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

Look in the options, at the page which shows the storage paths for the various templates, printer settings, etc. In my version it is the first page in the options. One of the items shows where the default template is located.

You should make all your changes, and then "SAVE AS" SOME NAME.dwt. Then in the options dialogue you browse to the file you just saved, and specify this file as your default new drawing. My version is German, so I can't be more specific about the terminology.